Drum Shields

FelterSkelter

The ported bass drum discussion made me wonder:

How does everyone feel about playing behind drum shields? Personally I don't care for them but I understand their value. It just feels weird to be disconnected from the rest of the band in some way.

drummert2k

rather than that i've learned to actually play controlled enough to play soft enough that all the drums are being heard in the mix through the PA. no stage volume from the drums. it gets pretty hard playing in smaller venues when you have to play really really soft. but with practice and gaining the control you need, you can still really get into the songs playing at such low volumes. and after hearing how great the mix sounds opposed to when you're just blasting the drums loud enough so its more than stage volume, its worth the practice.

drumschick07

I used to play at a church and I had to use a drum shield. I don't really like them because when you go from playing with a shield to with out one your dynamics kind of get messed up. The problem I had when I first started using it is I would be playing too soft because everything you do bounces right back at you so it seems very loud when it really isn't. But over time you get used to it.

skitch

FelterSkelter":2xpn25i9 said:
The ported bass drum discussion made me wonder:

How does everyone feel about playing behind drum shields? Personally I don't care for them but I understand their value. It just feels weird to be disconnected from the rest of the band in some way.

I had to do this when I was in the opening act for the Kinley sisters and played on their drummer's drums! And it does make you feel disconnected if you don't use one very often!