Drum set reviews sites/info

Roche

Can anyone point me in the direction of a site that provides a product reviews for drum sets? I'm looking to get my son a 5 piece set for Xmas, but I have no idea what I should be looking for or which brands to stay away from. I'm looking for a high quality starter set that is not a piece of junk a will provide quality sound as well as workmanship. Any suggestions or opinions in this area will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
[size=18]Roche'[/size]

rufus4dagruv

NG1284

rufus4dagruv":zhh4xglp said:
Sites like musiciansfriend.com often have ratings on the products. You can use this to gauge popularity of particular items.

The first thing you need to do is decide what the budget is going to be. Here are a few examples of quality name brand drums that come with all hardware and cymbals:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ ... sku=443278
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ ... sku=448884

After Thanksgiving, you may see some more deals pop up for other sets with cymbals. Good luck.
Oh bull, those ratings are balls.

Now, the useful information:

You get what you pay for. This is true 95% of the time - that other 5% is some of the lower quality sets which tend to be better. For example, from the real starter sets, I'd try either the Tama Swingstar or the Mapex QR series. One thing you need to keep in mind though, is that if you buy him a 300$ set and he really gets into drumming, that set is going to need to be replaced sooner or later, and you might end up losing money - especially since sets like that (Peavey, Pulse, some Ludwigs) have no resale value. I'd look at a Pearl Forum or Export too, those tend to be great starting sets. Pretty much anything that's around 500$ new is an acceptable beginner set [one that will last for a few years at least], 700$ for one that he won't need to replace ever [hypothetically]. As far as brands go, there's none that I would really stay away from except maybe sketchy no-name brands, haha. I mean, Percussion Plus, for instance, is notoriously bad - but also notoriously cheap.

I'd take a look around on Ebay. You can get a new quality set (700$) for the price of a beginner set (500$), though a lot of these are store models. Also, don't be afraid to buy used. Take a look around at Craigslist too, used quality gear is ALWAYS better than new crappy gear as far as price goes. Just make sure you know what you're getting, try to find some legit reviews, look at prices elsewhere, and come here and ask us about specific sets.

For cymbals, you're usually best off buying them separately, as the ones that will come with a cheapo set are hardly worth having. Look at the Ziljian ZBT/Planet Zs, Sabian B8/Solar, Paiste Brass101/Brass201/PST 3/5, those are the big starter sets.

Happy shopping!