drum recording for a beginner

hey ive been playing drums for about 8 years and am very talented....im looking to get endorced by some out of state companies and they need to hear some recordings...how would i go about recording with quality sound...at my house ...what would i need to buy?....keep in mind im fairly broke..but i have some money ....so can anybody help me?

drummert2k

you should already have recordings you've done with other bands. if you want to endorse a company you have to show them that you're doing more than just a gig on the weekends. even if the bands suck in the recordings. they wanna hear your dumming.

also, a list of all past shows and upcoming shows is a huge help. especially if you have something coming up in the city the compay is located. that way they can come see and meet you in person.

but collect all the recordings you've done with your bands, anything you might have done for other bands and write up one heck of a bio and reference sheet with anything else you might think would be helpful. if you give lessons, if you get hired for a lot of studio sessions, if you get hired for live shows. anything and everything helps.

scrubs

If you have no experience with recording, you will get much better results for less money by actually buying some time in a decent studio. The money you will spend on mics, preamps, cables, soundcards, acoustic treatment, etc. and the time it will take you to actually learn how to use that stuff well enough to record and mix a good sound will far outweigh a few hours of studio time.

FelterSkelter

scrubs":3bvn2ydd said:
If you have no experience with recording, you will get much better results for less money by actually buying some time in a decent studio. The money you will spend on mics, preamps, cables, soundcards, acoustic treatment, etc. and the time it will take you to actually learn how to use that stuff well enough to record and mix a good sound will far outweigh a few hours of studio time.
Couldn't agree more. Also, going to an established recording studio can provide you with some knowledge on recording itself and all it entails.
Good luck.

PaulZILLA

yeah. studio time is a far better investment. i mean for most basic recording i guess if you have to do it i would get a bass drum mic and 2 overhead condensers. i recomend CAD or SHURE mics. CAD makes good d ynmanics so you can use basic recording software. me personaly for basic jam recording i use a CAD dynamic bass mic and 2 Berhinger overhead condensers with the rolloff active. just put the bass mic in the port. if you dont have it there are other entries on this site on how to properly and effectively mic a bass. and the overheads are easy. cheap boom mic stands and mount them on the left and right side of your kit wella bove your head w hile playing, ab out just over head high when standing and point the condensers in towards the middle and up slightly towards the sky. ive recorded my band for jam tracks, and decent on drums on that setup alone.