drum mutes??

JSdrmr

Who uses the muting pads for their drumset? Any good? I need something to quiet my kit down for practicing in the house. I saw the Vic Firth ones for $50; anyone??

sashowal

A word of caution here: I am by no means an expert. In fact, I am about the farthest this site has from one. That having been said...

I purchased a Vic Firth drum mute for my snare earlier this week so that I could practice on something other than a pad while my daughter is asleep. Last night I played for an hour in the room that shares a wall with her bedroom using the mute and she did not wake up.

The mute, in my inexpert opinion, has a little less rebound than the drum head, but not by so much as to piss me off. I found the difference in feel from the un-muted head to be far less dramatic than the difference in feel going from the drum to a practice pad. The sound is clearly not that of the un-muted drum, but it isn't irritating. My initial feeling was that I had more fun practicing on the Vic Firth muted drum to practicing the same things on my pad. The pad is still valuable, but its nice to have the option to play the actual drum without a lot of noise.

Like I said, I'm a noob, but I found the mute to be a good compromise. It beats not playing at all.

JSdrmr

sounds good, perhaps I'll grab the set. I practice on my pad every day (and I encourange any drummer to do so) but I'm looking to practice some kit stuff. perfect description man. Thanks again!