Drum Mics......Help Please!

tomyco

I am not a drummer but a guitarist with a home studio. (Mac Pro-Pro-Tools- Digi 002 rack - Mackie 824 ) I just put together my studio and would like to start recording live drums for some original songs. The style I play would be I guess classic rock, no real hard stuff!

I'm looking for suggestions on mics. I think right now I will probably go with two stereo overhead mics and one bass mic. Does this make sense? I am new to recording and have no clue on drum mics. I just spent a lot of money on my existing stuff and need to go with something a little less money. I'm hoping to spend under $300.00 used, maybe on Ebay.

I know you get what you pay for! And I know that buying something cheap now, in a year or two I will end up paying more for better mics. I'm not looking for cheap mics, just something I would not be embarrased about using. Would just the overhead mics do? Could really use some advice on this. Thanks!

SGarrett

For comparison's sake. I spent $250 on each of my overheads and they aren't high end at all. You'll also spend around $200 for one of the industry standard kick mic's. There are low cost kits that are fine for the local stage but not what I'd want to track into a DAW with. It doesn't matter how good your interface is if you have low quality mic's. Oh, and you'll want a snare mic or the snare will sound really thin.

Check eBay for a Shure SM57, Beta 52, and some decent overheads. If you must skimp, don't do it on your overheads.

anavrinIV

ive heard of guys recording with just 2 overheads and a kick mic and doing just fine with it but usually its 1 mic per tom, 2 per snare (one top, one bottom), 1 or 2 for the kick, 1 for hihats, and at least 2 overheads. its not crucial to have all of that but im pretty sure thats what the "standard" is.

MRSTICKSTUFF

TAKE THOSE MICS AND MAKE A (T) CROSS WITH THEM. TAPE THEM TOGETHER WITH DUCK-TAPE. PUT THEM BEHIND THE DRUMS WITH ONE FACING THE BASS RIG/VOCAL MONITOR TO PICK UP VOCALS AND THE OTHER FACING OUT OVER THE DRUMS. THEN ADJUST BALANCING EVENING OUT LEVELS.

I DID THIS FOR YEARS RUNNING THESE MICS (421 SENNHIZER'S) INTO A CASSETTE RECORDER USING A NORMAL BIAS TAPE.

CHOW

mikeanderson@stickstuffgrip.com