Drum heads

cxo

I searched for this and couldn't quite find what I was looking for.

I'm a GML refugee here... I've been wanting to take up drums for some time, and finally will be getting my hands on a relatives used kit. It has a couple tore heads however, and being a non-drummer I figured I'd ask exactly hwo to go about changing them, and also, tuning tips if I could get any. I assume it's something I'd just have to experiment with.

I figure that how changing the heads would be obvious once I got them in my possession, but I also don't want to take the chance of screwing up a kit that isn't in the greatest shape to begin with.

DrumsPlus

Use the search option at the top of the page and type in Tuning. There are some great videos on here. As for heads, go to your local shop and ask. There should be someone there to help you.

EOTE_drummer

for tuning, google the "drum tuning bible".

how to change a head. on the rim around the head, their are screws sticking up. those are lugs, you use a drum key to completely unscrew them, take the rim off, put the new head on, put the rim back on along with all the lugs. then you tighten them to get the sound you want.

EOTE_drummer

DrumsPlus":duvza4kv said:
Use the search option at the top of the page and type in Tuning. There are some great videos on here. As for heads, go to your local shop and ask. There should be someone there to help you.
yes what he said, but also make sure you measure your drum's to see what size heads you need. usually it will either be 12, 13, 14, 16, 22 or 10, 12, 14, 14, 22.

best of luck

cxo

I'll look into them. I was thinking Evans though, since this is still just a side thing for me at the moment.

dbkman

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/21-qzRNqFs0&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/21-qzRNqFs0&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Here's a video on tuning. I recommend remo emporer heads. pretty basic but great. Hope the vid helps.