Drum Heads for recording.

progressiveman

Hey guys I have a question for you.

I'm gonna start recording with my band in two weeks. I own a Tama Superstar 5pc. (10"- 12" Rack Toms, 16" Floor tom, 22" Bass drum 14"x5.5" Snare drum) We play Progressive Experimental Rock.

I would like to get a clear sound out of my toms (Kinda Neil Pearlt, Mike Portnoy or Danny Carey's fast fills). Currently I'm using Remo Pinstripes but they're old, so I'm planing to change them. Should I stick with them in order to get a good take out of my toms?. Or what other heads would give me that clear sound for fast fills?

Any advice would really be appreciated.

m

xdoseonex":137mvtbh said:
evans g2's on the top and g1's on the bottom
that's my fav recipe for my Tamas when I'm going for the sound you described.
I can point you to some audio if you need to hear it.

skitch

New ones! When you go into the studio, you should use whatever head combination you prefer but replace your heads.

skrewdrive

for recording i use aquarian satina coated with classic clear in video gloss resos.

i use either a super kick 1 or 3 in the studio or a force 1 batter.

live i use generally the same or sometimes i swap the satins for power-thins or lately super-2's

and the bass drum goes to superkick 2 or force II wirh the regulator non-ported reso heads.

i would suggest trying at least one head of each aquarian make.

osiva

I do pinstripe tops and clear aquarian bttm....Its very important to also change your bottom heads before recording!

freakinparis

Its more a matter of preference. When you go buy your heads, talk to the sales guy or look at the back of the box the head comes in. It will usually tell you what type of sound you will get out of that head.

xdoseonex

skitch":27fdiu5t said:
New ones! When you go into the studio, you should use whatever head combination you prefer but replace your heads.
New heads need a bit of time to be streached, broken in, and seated. DO NOT change your drums heads right before going into the studio. if your recording next week, change them now. this will ensure they have time to be properly broken in before you accualy record with them. its the same concept with a guitarist not using brand new strings when they record

BLS2112

progressiveman":2amrhl7r said:
Hey guys I have a question for you.

I'm gonna start recording with my band in two weeks. I own a Tama Superstar 5pc. (10"- 12" Rack Toms, 16" Floor tom, 22" Bass drum 14"x5.5" Snare drum) We play Progressive Experimental Rock.

I would like to get a clear sound out of my toms (Kinda Neil Pearlt, Mike Portnoy or Danny Carey's fast fills). Currently I'm using Remo Pinstripes but they're old, so I'm planing to change them. Should I stick with them in order to get a good take out of my toms?. Or what other heads would give me that clear sound for fast fills?

Any advice would really be appreciated.

Just make sure they're tuned well...
Heads don't matter as much as tuning...
I personally use Evans G2 coated or clear on top...
And Cannon Attack coated Bozzio's on bottom with the "A" Yamaha rig...
(Usually)
Weird eh? ':eek:I
However all drums are different...
I always use G1 bottom and top on my '66 Ludwigs and '70s Sonors...
If your looking for the dry "attack" with little overtones (Portnoy like)
By all means go to some sort of 2-ply...
Remember, the engineer (hopefully he or she is good), tuning and the mic choices/placement have just as much (If not more) to do with it than the head choice...
Just make sure they have a good, big & fat signal...With a plethora of attack...With "centered strikes" as much as possible...And no "hoop or stick clickers"...
However, bring some Pro-Mark strips, Zero Rings or Moon-Gels...Just in case the mic choices are minimal...Especially "the dreaded kits"...Sufficient live but usually do not cut it under a "MIC-roscopic" studio environment...Or, Heaven forbid (yet common) the engineer is less than desired... ':eek:/
MAKE SURE the engineer knows "the sound" you're looking for...
I always have drummers (and others) bring me CD's of the artists "sounds" that they're wanting to "simulate" somewhat...
Perhaps let's say the Bass Drum from Living Colour's "Vivid" with the snare drum from Zep' "In Through the Out Door" with the "overhead cymbal vibe" of Rush "Counterparts"...
Try to do this prior to the clock ($$$$) running...
If the engineer cops an attitude with you over this then quite simply, find another engineer and/or studio...
Careful...Half of the "studios" today are some tone-deaf dumb-ass with a crap-load of money and state-of-the-art equipment opening a studio because he "can"...
If the guy is "pretentious" and a "gear smug" he probably sucks...
The equipment DOESN'T make the engineer...Just like the drums don't make the drummer...
Personally I like a "wide-open" drum that can be "controlled" or even "changed" somewhat later by myself and/or a good engineer after tracking...NOT "corrected"...But controlled or enhanced...However, Most times I am the engineer... ':eek:I
This is the "common" & best practice...
As for the Bass Drum...Fairly heavy on the Muffling...EMAD (with the "small" strip) with a small feather pillow for example...Feathers (Down) move away fast and fall back as compared to the constant "push" choking effect from foam/polyester fiber types...
We used a bass drum half full of "packing peanuts" back in the '80s once...It kicked butt, lol...But a little annoying and messy...
They kept "flying" out of the mic' port... ':eek:|

All the best & good luck...Barrie

Ping

i have a superstar also i use pinstripes on top / diplomats for the bottoms / thats a classic sound you will get that nice feel and sound/ kinda sounds like water when you hit the toms :) like portnoys sets/ as for a good studio snare cant beat remo coated ambassador/ or aquarian studio x both are awsome/ oh yea and tune them well if you havent seen my post on tuning its not that hard / take a look and oh yea heres a trick you can use to take that buzz out after you tune your toms / if after you get that nice sound you want and still have that buzz or ring at the end when you hit your toms / while hiting the top head with drums stick take your drum key out and start tuning up the bottom lugs one at a time and you will find that you can take away that buzz or ring thx for looking all keep drumming /stay inspired

SGarrett

I use Aquarian heads.

Toms = Coated Response 2 batter and Hi-Frequency batter
Snare = Classic Coated and Hi-Performance
Kick = SuperKickII and Regulator w/2.5" offset port.

xdoseonex":2ly499qj said:
skitch":2ly499qj said:
New heads need a bit of time to be streached, broken in, and seated. DO NOT change your drums heads right before going into the studio. if your recording next week, change them now. this will ensure they have time to be properly broken in before you accualy record with them. its the same concept with a guitarist not using brand new strings when they record
One of the beautiful things about Aquarian heads. No break-in time. And if you properly seat your heads they should be ready to play after being tuned the first time.

ZaQ[MTG]

EC2 clears on top G1s on bottom...clear...defined and so much attack...it will blow your socks off...live...recording... what ever...trust me

-ZaQ-

KennB

I hit hard but like a quick attack with great tone and some resonance so here's what I use:

Remo Emperors on top of all toms
Remo Ambassadors on bottoms of all toms
Remo Powerstroke 3 on kick
Evans HDD dry on snare (nice crack without too much overring)

Also, be prepared and take some Moon Gels. This works way better than tape and can be removed with no residue when you leave the studio. You have a wonderful kit for recording and with the correct tuning there should be no need for muffling except possibly the kick of course but it's all up to the sound you want and the room.

KennB.
www.myspace.com/hardware