Drum heads for recording?

Eliminator

Hi im just about to re-head my kit and im recording with my band in a while, i was wondering what the best drumheds would be for recording purposes?

m

what style of music & type of drums?
What kind of tone are you looking for?

I'm using various Evans heads for our sessions, we like the sound.

RogersDrummer

That depends on the quality of your set, and how well you are able to tune the drums. Alot of people, when they record in the studio, tend to dampen the heads a little to get rid of the unwanted ring.

I'm a Remo guy. I'd say go with Pinstripes. those are used alot during studio recording. They have a nice fat, full sound. They will sound good with practically any style of music.

SmellsLikeIan

I used coated ambassadors on top and clear diplomats on bottom when my band did our CD recently. The engineer/producer told me to. I was unsure at first, but after I heard them on tape.....WOW! But on the kick I used an Aquarian super kick 2, and we ended up taking the front head off. It was a professional studio, and we had a wide choice of high end mics to work with, as well as a yamaha subkick, but I think the head choice was good, because they also sounded great when we only had a D-112 and a couple of SM-57's (when we were first setting things up). You can check it out by clicking on the link below.....

Danjita Drummer

Evans G2 Coated or Remo Emperor / Ambasador Coated deppending on your playing. I dunno why, but coated heads just sound so much better!

Mikkey

I've always heard of people using different heads in the studio as opposed to practicing or playing live. I guess it is projection versus a more controlled sound. I knew people back in the day that would put tape over the tom heads. I don't like that method because sometimes drummers in the studio choke the life out of their drums. And most of the time "the ring" is drowned out by the other sounds in the drum set. It's a question of degrees there when using tape or rings. Another factor to consider is how the drums are being recorded. Some drummers record separately from the rest of the band. Charlie Benante did this for the 2003 album, "We Have Come for You All". (He actually just memorized his entire drum parts for the album and played them by himself in a studio with just him and the producer.) I'm not suggesting you do that, but how drums fit in with the rest of the band/mix is something to consider too especially if you're in the same room and using arial mics or something of that sort. If it is a professional studio you're going into, you should have plenty of options to weigh against each other. Good luck.

countb1ah

That depends on the sound you're trying to achieve, the quality of mics that are used, and the skill of the engineer. Different mics hear differently, rooms sound different, and there are infinite combinations of gear and cables between you and whatever medium you'll be capturing your track on. Talk to the engineer to get his/her opinions on the sound you are looking for. I like coated heads for studio work. They seem to be a bit warmer, but you can still get that 'bounciness' from your tubs. If projection, attack and punch are what you're looking for, then try the clear heads.

zed

I've used Remo coated and clears for years but the coated Evans and the EQmad bass drum heads are the best I've ever used for recording and live. The EQmad transforms whimpy bass drums! Check them out

Eliminator

yea i thought coated or pinstripes would sound good because of the full fat sound. i play in a hardcore metal band so i would be going for that full sound. i own a pearl export EX.
the studio that im going to record with uses evans g2s on the kit they have. i just dont want to end up going there with clear heads and having the toms ending up sounding weak or somthin?

drummerfreek55

i don't really have much experience with choosing heads but i love my current heads which are Evans hydraulic on the tops and Evans Resonant heads on the bottoms. very nice sounding!

quikstang2

If you're doing metal/hardcore I'd say you should definately go with clear Remo Pinstripes on the toms. If not that then Aquarian Performance IIs.
You're going to want a big, beefy tom sound. Those will do it, more so with the Remos.
Snare is up to you. That's a personal type of thing in my opinion.
As for the bass drum(s), I've personally had good luck with a clear Remo Pinstripe batter and the Aquarian Regulator with the off set hole on the front.