Drum Head Dampners

Vanden

At the moment im using good ol' gaffa tape. But i want something that looks a bit better and improves the sound.

Any tips on what to buy?

DRUMSMYWIFE

Either moon gels if you like the gel stuck on there during transport or some rings made by Evans or Remo that you place atop the head to get fat warm tones.

Vanden

Yeah the Remo ones are called Rem-Os arent they?
I have looked in my local drum shop but i couldnt find them, I probably need to look harder.

DrumsPlus

I use Evan Studio Rings and love them. You can get them at Musicians Friend or your locale store should have them.

kansasdrummer

first of all, get some good heads and tune them good, with the right tuning you can get the sound you want, but we are all not professional tuners, i use moongels myself, my tom set up is 8,10,12,14. I dont use any on the 8, i have 1 on both the 10 and the 12, they are close the the rim though, takes away just enuf of the annoying ring. I have 2 on my floor tom, my drums still sound full, but dont have a nasty ring, i think the dampning rims dampen to much..but thats just my opinion, play with it, see what you like and go with it!

Nessmaster

I have used both Remo-O rings and moon gel. Both work great IMO (although I prefer moon gel because sometimes the rings can kinda "rattle" along the mounting bracket and it pisses me off). However, I would slowly start to move away from using dampening. I used to be a big dampening fan, but now I prefer the un-disturbed sound of my shells. The only thing I use is a "X" shape of tape on the bottom side of my batter heads right in the middle. It doesn't really dampen or kill over-tones but it does give it a much more "flat" sound that is associated with 60s-70s rock.