Drum chart for "Spirit of Radio"

Hey fellow drummers,

I need some assistance with finding an accurate chart of "The Spirit of Radio" by Rush. I am going for a second audition for a working "live kareoke" band in Atlanta (no comments....the work is steady and the money is outstanding) and this is one of the required tunes. I have no problem with 90% of the tune but the intro and the break before the "words of the prophets" section that are alike is throwing me and I think if I could SEE it in notation I could get a handle on it. Any ideas or suggestions....or does anyone have a good transcription of the tune? Any help (not negative comments about the gig, the song or my reasoning for wanting to see a chart) would be appreciated.

SGarrett

The only place I've seen it is in the Rush book. Someone may have transcribed it, though. Good luck, that sounds like a cool gig, actually.

drumur

BTW
it was recorded in 1996 with an old boom box so the audio isn't great.
I had a Roland Octapad hooked to an Alesis D4 that I played the bells on.
I think I tuned each pad to a different note and played the melody.
Also, I should have started the fill with a high tom.

rlrrll

I can write you one in standard notation if you need it. IM me your fax number and I can get it to you tomorrow. You just want the kicks in that section before it goes reggae, correct?

tc

SGarrett

rlrrll":lldnscz5 said:
I can write you one in standard notation if you need it. IM me your fax number and I can get it to you tomorrow. You just want the kicks in that section before it goes reggae, correct?

tc
I think he's looking for the big fills at the beginning. It's been years but I remember them being sextuplet based?

drumur

On the intro...the guitar part is in 4/4 and the kicks and fills are 1/16 subdivisions. Figure it out in relation to a 1/4 note pulse. The groove on the verse is an inverted paradiddle based beat. The instrumental part before the breakdown is in 7...the rest is in 4/4.
What I do is sit down on a practice pad set, dissect it part by part, and play it as many times as I need to until I have it down.
Good Luck :)

Man, thanks for all the responses. To answer the responses, the tab thing didn't come up on my laptop....maybe it is because I have a Mac. For the guy who offered to write one, COOL. I don't have a fax machine but I do have an email address with which you could send it to or I could probably arrange to have a fax somewhere you could send it to. And yes, I am primarily concerned with the intro and the the section before the reggae thing.....everything else I can figure out.

This is what is cool about being a drummer. No other instrumentalists would offer to help with this....it would be some sort of SECRET. Not with drummers......we share just about anything, except our girlfriends! If a guy was a nice guy I would probably loan him just about anything.

And finally, yes I HAVE listened to the song. OVER AND OVER AGAIN. That is why I would like to see traditional notation. Believe me, this isn't my first rodeo, so to speak. I know when I need a bit of help. No harm in that as far as I can see.

Thanks again!