Drum beat

Drummerjew

Hey, I am stuck on this one beat in my drum book and it has complecated base. The snare, hi hat, and drum fills are easy. However I can't seem to get the base down right. can someone tell me how can I try to practice the beat b4 I go insaine?

WhiteOleander

hmm you have a copy of it you could show me? it's abit easier telling how to tackle a certain beat when you actually know what it looks like =)

Drummerjew

The hi hat is simple 8th notes and the snare is on 1_+a2_+a3_+a4_+a1. The base is 1e___e...then the base changes up and goes on the a. Then the drum fill. Then the base is put in the e and a. then more snare is added while the base is moved to 1e, a2, e+, 4e. Then is starts all over again. The base is the only thing that is trick because it keeps moving!

Dale

Er, I don't follow. What's this _ mean?

1 a 2 a 3 a 4 a
X X X X X X X X
......S..........S

Under which notes is the bass falling? Quote this and post the B where it should be.

Drummerjew

X-Hi hat
_-rest
1e+a 2e+a...16th notes
b-base
1e+a 1e+a 1e+a 1e+a
1st bb b b b b
2nd b bb bb bb b
3rd bb b b b b
4th bb b bb b b bb b

as I said the drum fills and the snare is the easy part. Its just hard controling my foot.

Dale

From what you've posted, I gather you know where the notes fall. I suggest you break it down and work on small sections of the groove at a time. Gradulally putting it all together until you can play it all. I'd not worry about the fills at this point, but focus on getting the groove together first. Then when you can do that, add the fills. Even if, as you say, you can already play the fills.

It's always better to break complex patterns down into their component parts before trying to put it all together at the beginning.

WhiteOleander

hmm id like to see that properly noted down on paper, i can't tell one thing from the other :roll: if anyone bothers writing this down and scanning it, could you note me?

PaulZILLA

sounds like its almost a triplet on the bass. if you do just the bass part. it almost falls to make a triplet. try working on your triplets then do that beat some. but keep them both sort of slow. it will help

drummert2k

if you could scan the section out of your book you're having trouble with we all could probably be much more help.