Doubles on single kick

chachaman02

Hello all. I just joined drums my life. I have been drumming for 6 years. I play many different styles ranging from post-hardcore and metalcore to funk and progressive rock.

So here's the thing- Many drummers that I know recognize my playing style for many things, but one main thing they say i have are perfect doubles on the bass drum. Here's the catch; single pedal. No heel toe, just extreme practice. I was wondering how many other drummers are able to do perfect doubles with single kick. What do you use them for, where do they fit into your playing style? Just outta curiousity.

Well discuss away.

anavrinIV

i dont really get what youre talking about...are you saying that you can play really fast with one foot or that you can get 2 really quick strokes without heel/toe or a double pedal? congrats on either, i consider myself slow even with a double pedal but i can do heel/toe and use it all the time.

drummert2k

good to hear from someone who takes the extra hours of practice to learn things the right way (which is usually the hard way) i personally found that besides heel toe, there are a few things you can do to really help get double and even triples out of a single kick. although putting the blood and sweat into learning to do something without tricks will especially help in a situation where you arent on a familiar kit. although i have nothing against heel toe and any other drumming trick, its good to know theres other drummers out there that go past their comfort level to achieve what they're trying to do.

that being said, playing doubles without tricks or anything is awesome, but dont let it stop you from expanding your knowledge and also learning heel toe, costant release, swivle, and other bass drums techniques. you've be very happy in the long run.

chachaman02

anavrinIV":2igj7ul3 said:
i dont really get what youre talking about...are you saying that you can play really fast with one foot or that you can get 2 really quick strokes without heel/toe or a double pedal? congrats on either, i consider myself slow even with a double pedal but i can do heel/toe and use it all the time.

Thank you guys for the props. Its good to know that there are other drummers that can pull off doubles on single kick. (I was saying that I can get Two very fast and powerful strokes with one foot.) I always see guys in concert that bring a double bass pedal but never play 8ths or 16ths or anything of that sort. They only play doubles once in a while. We can all do doubles on one foot. I can only imagine the kind of things we're capable of on double kick.

TheRhythmest

Well I guess it all depends. As of late I been drumming everything from Hard funk to DMB covers and some zappa. Now this has been a pretty tall order but one thing Ive learned from seeing other drummers playing, is that there is a time of it and a time to stay in the pocket. Just make sure your not trying to step on the others on stage with you and think TASTE and thats when it's the most fun! dose that sound gay? well if it dose? It makes me 200 a show or better.

Shalaq

I use the heel-toe rocking motion technique to play fast triplets, doubles and constant double bass with a single pedal. I like the feel of the heel and toe stroke being uneven don't fight it. It sounds great, especially if you play it softly.

Alcyon

My trick is to just tap my feet non-stop throughout the day in class.
Sooo guilty of that. :p

Playing one foot doubles is pretty much crucial for punk, and I've actually been doing some one foot triples, although if you're doing it for a while it's less tiring to just alternate on double pedal, but I think if you use your double kick as a crutch then you're limiting the range of beats you can play... Like you can play right foot doubles and alternate them with a left foot hit, etc. Having dominant foot speed makes your range of rhythm so much wider.

DreamT

I've never been able to figure this one out. Can someone please tell me how to do triplets with one foot? I mean I can do doubles at will by just sliding my foot up the pedal but I can't for the life of me see how someone can add an extra stroke in there.

Shalaq

I basically play the first stroke with my heel on the back of the pedal and then do two strokes with my toes. Hope that helps :)

eexea

DreamT":2vdgg9k5 said:
I've never been able to figure this one out. Can someone please tell me how to do triplets with one foot? I mean I can do doubles at will by just sliding my foot up the pedal but I can't for the life of me see how someone can add an extra stroke in there.
i use the same method on my bass drum. i would recommend heel toe to anyone else, but it just seems to work for me. triplets are tricky to get clean and smooth... it took me some practicing before i got decent with them... still not the best

zen_drummer

I was playing before the double kick pedal was available, and using a single speed king for a pedal. I've never been a heel-toe guy (Hard to do on the tiny speed king foot board).

I can do doubles and triples on a single pedal. I use the bounce of the head just as though it was a stick in my hand. I also do triplet "rolls" (RRLRRLRRLRRL) which require a double then a single evenly spaced on the double kick pedal. My double kick pedal is the TRICK bigfoot.

Double stroke rolls are a bit trickier because my left foot is about 20 years less experienced than my right foot.

Most of the doubles I do are on the single pedal, not opting for using the left foot to make it easier.

adrumsolo4u

i have a question concerning heel toe action... would it help to have a longer pedal, or am i just doing something wrong? does foot size have anything to do with it? i just cant get any power or speed when i use my heel.

Alcyon

The sliding double action works for triples too... Just imagine you're playing doubles like RR RR RR (so basically the sliding action with back of the pedal --> front of the pedal, back front back front=BFBFBF) and then convert it to triples so RRR RRR RRR RRR or BFB FBF BFB FBF

But usually it's unneccesary because I don't play single foot triples that fast. Really if you're going to do triples quickly and a lot in a song then it's worth the investment to get a double pedal. Going RLR is soooo much easier.

jbreshears

adrumsolo4u":bk2s91k6 said:
i have a question concerning heel toe action... would it help to have a longer pedal, or am i just doing something wrong? does foot size have anything to do with it? i just cant get any power or speed when i use my heel.

I also have the same question, i just can't do it. My feet must be too big or something cause everytime i try the heel won't go down. I was also wondering if there are any other ways that i could practice to gain speed on my feet?

nitro_drummer

Hey....Yeah like some other people said in other replys that they tap their feet in class all day. It has helped me alot with my double bass skills. But i can do doubles with a single foot very well and with both my left and right foot. I play in a progressive metal band with influences from BTBAM and dream theater and it comes in handy mostly when i need a double but im using my left foot for one of my other 3 pedals and playing them with my left foot is to challenge myself to think outside the box or trying tomething different during practice or during a show with my band

Shalaq

To all you big footers- try to play alternating heel up/down strokes. That should get you started.

chachaman02

I have three ways to do doubles:
1- I play heel down usually. By hitting the pedal really fast with the front half of my foot I get a very powerful and potentially fast double.
2- I also play heel up. Just "toe tapping" and KAPOW! there's a double
3- There's a mixture of the two that I've been developing. Hitting the pedal heel down and when you hit it, leave your heel up. then quickly hit the pedal heel up and you got a double.

Now if you use the first technique and then quickly as hell (like .0001 seconds after the double) after the double hit the pedal heel up. You'll get triplets.

By the way. thanx for the posts guys.