double pedal speed: Excercise vs Practise

RowanVS

Just letting you guys know that since I started Muay Thai boxing, my double pedal technique and speed has improved significantly.

This leads me to give the advise that as well as a lot of practise, make sure your doing a lot of non drumming excercise on the side to enable your body to go beyond it's current limits!!

High, explosive rep low-medium weights, do quad excercises and squats. Running helps a lot too.

I've heard that alot about running and I recently got back into it. I know my speed was much better when I was playing soccer and running a minimum of two miles every day.

dob?

exercise definitely helps... i just got back into working out about 3 weeks ago (jogging, squats, powerclings and the sort) and I'm starting to notice speed improvements already.

zero_or_die77

bicycling is amazing for building strength, speed, and endurance. the muscles you use in bicycling are the same muscles you use in double bass. i've noticed a HUGE improvement

Mikkey

Exercise is generally good for ones drumming overall. My double bass was better when I ran 5 miles a day four days a week. I think what made my double bass better was starting out at a slower pace and trying to make it as even as possible, then speeding it up.

jjmetalhead7

martial arts is good for coordination. giving your body the required amount of excersise is just good period. drumming, martial arts, boxing, bicycling and sex are a good combination for me!!!

st3v3n

i've heard that jumping rope is also a good source of leg excersice and cardio when playing doulbe bass. and thanks for all the tips on excersize, i've recently been trying to really speed up on the double bass and single stroke rolls. so these tips should hopefully be helpful in that arena

sfboles

I do stationary spin classes 3 days a week. This is a 50 minute class with all sorts of gear variation to get the optimum workout. I was a regular... totally hardcore in the class up until about a month ago. I've noticed over that time that my double bass technique has gotten a bit sloppy... I've actually been pretty frustrated seeing as how I play in a Christian Death Metal band fast, accurate doubles are pretty vital... anyhow... I have been thinking in the back of my mind that my slack in spin class is the reason why my double are off and I think now this thread validates my theory.

THANKS!! I'm going back to spin class tomorrow!

quikstang2

Brutal Achilles tendinitis = no running... and I don't like it anyways. I could ride my bike more if I had the time.

I've found that swimming and drumming have a symbiotic help thing going.

Be careful with weights. High speed, high reps and low weight is good for speed. Lower reps, lower speed and higher weight is good for power and strength. I recommend doing a little of both because you need to build fast twitch fibers to get your speed but they don't have a direct source of blood supply but your slow twitch fibers do so build them up to feed your fast twitch fibers. There's some more to the system, but I may have explained more than I needed to already.

Mikkey

Another thing I forgot to mention before is this: Finding where the "arc" on your foot is, is helpful. Exercise is great for stamina but I've found the best thing for speed is finding the point and angle of your foot/feet that can bounce back and forth with the least amount of effort. Kinda like the saying, "All in the wrist". For me there are two points. Heel down, it is three quarters the way up my foot and I put all my weight there and let the rest of the foot hang. Heel up (I use both up and down), it is on the ball joints of where the toes meet the feet but I do move my feet down the pedal board a little say an inch from the front of the toeguard on the footboard.