double kick

Trent

i dont have one and i have never played on one.
are they really a must have item? because it seems more and more bands have them lately.

in some ways i undestand the use for them here and there but are they really needed for a 2 minute solo? and cant you just use one pedal and get a good technique to the point of not even needing an extra pedal?

WhiteOleander

if you feel you can accomplish what you want with one pedal, then you don't need to buy a double one. buy one when you need really fast kicks or if your style of music demands it.. but it any case you should still try waltz down to your local music store and try it just to get the feel.. you never know, you might love it ;)

metaldrummer

one reason why I have a double pedal is mostly because I want to play faster stuff..

Another reason is because I feel that I accomplished what I personally can with a single pedal.(I never really wanted one up until 2 years ago)

masonvonritchie

Just like with everything else in drumming, it's all relative to your personal preference and the style of music you're playing.

ghost_note

i just enjoy playing with a single pedal. i feel i have the most control. with a dbl pedal i just constantly want to go like 100mph all the time and i cant get out of that habbit so i just stuck with a single :D. I mostly enjoy playing the pop-punk style so i dont generally need a double pedal. i just learned the heel toe method and applied it...hope this helps you!

devilspain

actually with this new wave of brit pop and indie bands the latest thing is the smaller kit from what ive seen. 1 rack 2 floor tom and 1 basser.

i dont play fast music but doubles are fun for doin diff stuff. like tonight in band prac i was doin triplets to simple four four.

Trent

yes i have been try to work on the heel toe for a while im getting the basic of it but idk if theres any other little secrets i should know. i watched this one dudes videos on drummerworld.com an dhe gave a good discription of the heel toe. is there any other techniques out there for the kick?

anavrinIV

i have a double pedal and love it. im not a death metal speed freak on it and my endurance isnt great on it but im decent. i like to use it more as an accent piece than as a constant groove machine but it comes in handy to make some interesting beats every now and then. more than i use the double pedal i actually use heel/toe to get double strokes out of one pedal and thats one of my favorite things to do...if nothing else, im glad i took lessons to learn heel/toe.

jowie

i swear by mine, TAMA iron cobra, and dont think you'd just use it for mega fast metal tunes their great for just the odd little flair and sometimes thats even better cos it comes outta nowhere and its like OOOH what was that??!?
but its deffo the best idea to build up your speed with one foot before you get a double, then when u eventually get one... you can go QUADRUPLE!

lotsa love, JOWIE xxx

insaneshayne

Yeah, it's totally a taste thing. I swear by mine, but I'm playing fast crazy stuff. BUT, as with most anything, you really should learn the basics and get good with one foot before adding the double-pedal and then using it as a crutch. If my pedal breaks mid-set (which has happened to all of us) I can finish the song or set with either foot (minus the speed-metal double-bass stuff of course.) I hate seeing some kid with his first set playing with a double-pedal what he or she should be doing with a single but isn't capable...

But it is fun and can add some cool fills to your bag of tricks once you get good with it.

anavrinIV

i personally think that if youre going to play double pedals you should start with them as early as posslible. this way you can work on both feet individually so that you dont have one foot that wants to fly and one that lags because its never been worked. but thats just me.

tomdrum

i think double bass is an essential part of playing. Although it shouldnt substitute for a weak right foot, it can improve your left and do wonders to your playing if you use it tastefully. Some of the greatest drummers use it and their playing would not be as amazing without it. Ex. Mike Portnoy, Billy Cobham, Simon Phillips, and alll the metal and fusion greats.

downshifter99

It's always better to have a gun and not need it,than to need a gun and not have it.

Draw your own conclusions from that one. :idea:

Trent

its always better to have a double kick and not need it, then to need a double kick and not have it??? i get that

nice

sharkscott

I've gone to both extremes and have now kind of settled in the middle.

I started out playing in the early 80's and most of what I first learned was Heavy Metal. I played double bass all the time and loved it, then about ten years ago I went from having a huge kit to just a little four piece with no frills.

I loved doing both and in doing so I learned a lot more music. Now I have a double pedal so that I can do the driving double riffs and also for the cool accents too.

I wanted to have my cake and eat it too, so I did. :)

The Heel

It all just depends on what you're doing.

If you want to play like Mike Portnoy... you need one.

If you want to play like Chad Smith... you dont.

Trent

The Heel":2tdofn92 said:
It all just depends on what you're doing.

If you want to play like Mike Portnoy... you need one.

If you want to play like Chad Smith... you dont.
chad smith all the way.. i havent really ever wanted to get stuck on the double. i want to learn as much as i can with out it.

Benno

I figure a double pedal is good to have, even if you don't need it, just because it's there. If anything, you'll have a friend come over and they'll be all like, "DUDE!"

Plus, there's all kinds of fun tricks you can do with double bass.

RetardeDrummer666

for people who have a double pedal....
is it hard? i would love to get one 'cuase i love heavy metal. but ive tried it once and it was quite difficult.

grills666

i think its pretty cool you know. makes some songs sond a bit more better and it also pushes you to a higher level you know :twisted: dont get me just the single pedal along is awsume but i preffer too use the double.