Double Kick Problem!! Help? Please?

randomwho127

So i got a Mapex P380 Double Bass Drum Pedal. Its a nice pedal, in my own opinion, smooth and all. But here is my problem. When i kick on the left side enough times, the left pedal will get stiffer and will not run fluently at all. It just shoots right back where it started and comes to a quick halt, unlike the right where it has some recoil and bounce when it comes back. Whats the deal? What can i do about that?

Please....help me....please.[/b]

JohnRobMHIM

check all the springs and screws and washers. Actually just check anything on the pedal that moves when you're playing it. If something is sticking somewhere then it'll effect the whole thing.

I play an Iron Cobra with rusty U-joints, sticky and stripped screws, and two different beaters. So I can kinda feel you on that.

(apparently the key to happy double bass drum pedals is $500+)

Try your spring adjustments? Sorry to say but, maybe some different pedals. I had the same problem but not as bad givin that I have never tried your type pedal before. Most of all slave pedals will always act not in unison. Especially with springs involved. Even my 500 dollar dw pedals do that. But not as bad as the last pair. ............................................AXIS is my next bet..........Laters

Nigel Letter

Have you tried adjusting your spring tension? Is it locking up or is it just getting stiff? Try some oil on the bearings. WD-40 is good but mess around with the spring tension aswell and get back to me.
If your on myspace contact me through there at www.myspace.com/nigelletter

PaulZILLA

yeah oil the bearings and any moving part . but not WD 40 it will eventualy rust it. use 3:1 Oil. works great and lasts long with no drawback except bein a lil greesy on your fingers if ya get it on there. that and check the linkkage from the pedal slave and master to the torque bar. if the angles are too extreme it will effect how it moves and performs. there is a proper angle to set the pedals at, but i have no clue what it is. but i would try to make it as slight as possible while still being positioned comfortably. and yes all double bass pedals have problems. hence why i run 2 bass drums. alot smoother.

The Edman

I use two 24' kick drums and still have the same problem. I use two Pearl Eliminator pedals, with the same tension and same cams, but yet, my left one dosent seem to have the same "spring" as the right one. I switched them up and the same thing happened! So, I figure it must have to do with the strength of your legs. I have since played my left a little bit looser and that seems to work for me. Dont worry about what your pedals are doing...go for the "feel". EXPERIMENT!

rervousneck

Try tightening the slave spring a bit tighter than the other... that has seemed to have helped me.

Also... many pedals have a squared off connecting shaft. I'm not familiar with the mapex pedal but an example of what I'm talking about is the DW 5000, which is what I use. Although I have yet to try it myself, I have heard that a round connector increases the slave response, but because I haven't tried it, I'm also not familiar with the downsides to it. The reason behind it is because after time, the square one wears down which creates slack. I am not quite sure on the brand, but I believe it's Axis that sells a universal connector that can replace many brands.

There is something to be said about why the square ones are widely used though... so if you do try a round one... or if anyone else has... let me know!

Warrdogg

I've tried a bunch of different double pedals and have never been able to get the left and right adjusted the same. I use dielectric grease on my pedals (on the u-joints and chains) and that helps alot. It's just the design of double pedals, you will always have some lag in the left pedal.

quikstang2

Just sit there and play the pedals with your hands while you watch ALL of the moving parts. See if anything is hitting or catching on another piece of hardware (you may have to play normally to see this too). Also check that everything is bolted on the right way (you may have to find pictures on Mapex's site or look at one in the store).
If you can't find anything mechanical, have someone else play and see if they have the problem. If they do, keep looking. If they don't, then it's your left leg (which is usually my case).

randomwho127

Thanks for the advice, but what it came out to be was just an unknown problem i guess you can say. I took it into a local shop (Grandmas Music and Sound) and they told me that may be how the pedal is so, i got a new one (Pearl P-122's? or 120's?) and it definately fits my needs.