Double Kick Assistance

randomwho127

So when i started to double kick, about a month ago, it was so easy, fluent and i was actually pretty quick. Now after mastering Triples, i cant double kick fluently at all. ANy advice on this or any thing i should do to gradually get to it?

(Thanks for the input fellers)

Shalaq

Back the metronome and start over. It's that simple. Be relaxed and focused and you'll do fine.

Dale

randomwho127":3bp45zlf said:
So when i started to double kick, about a month ago, it was so easy, fluent and i was actually pretty quick. Now after mastering Triples, i cant double kick fluently at all. ANy advice on this or any thing i should do to gradually get to it?

(Thanks for the input fellers)
I think you should forget about being 'pretty quick'. Set your metronome to 50 bpm and play singles, doubles and paradiddles. Practice getting your strokes even.

alexforwood

Yeh the guy above me has it right, just start slow and work up, if you were going quick having played only a month (and by quick i mean semi quavers above 150bpm) you were almost certainly playing "on the nerve" which as I am sure you can probably feel gives a drummer very little control over what hes playing.

I have been using a double pedal for nearly two years now and (having been practicing heel toe techniques) tried playing on the nerve last few times I have practiced- end result? An odd pain in the side of my right leg and p*ssed off neighbours lol. But no real style or control in what im doing. It doesn't do you any favours.

will_weathers

hey man, yeah speed is impressive, but what is a drummer if he cant keep a beat? Definately dont worry about speed! Just be able to fluently keep a beat at a given BPM for a a few min. and if you practice that with a metronome, you will gradually get faster,. but dont force it. just let it happen on its own. and as you start to get the hang of one BPM, move it up about 10. and try that.

Dale

randomwho127":2jrb4rw7 said:
Thanks for the input. I guess metronome it is.....thought dont have one i can easily get something going.
Yeah, get yourself a metronome asap. If you are serious about drumming, it is a must. Drummers who cannot keep steady time don't work.

Benno

Yeah, it's beat to death, but I'll say it too.

Speed comes with time, but precision can be practiced. You can be precise today, but speed is harder to get up.

As for your actual question (being able to do fours and threes on the floor without messing up), when you're going slow, make sure you count all the beats and pay attention to where the snare lands. for example, when doing quarters on the hands and triplets on the feet (a la lamb of god, ruin), the snare lands on your left foot. Fours always land on the right.

You'll get it =)

vargasdrumbeast

I had the same problem man, just like everyone else has said invest in a good ,solid performing metronome.

Its the best thing you can do to improve your double-bass consitency, and everything else.

Vargas

jake

dude, what worked for me after eight years of hell , was when i dropped my ego and addmited defeat to my freind dylan. my band was practicing at his house and i brought my kit this time instead of using his and he can haul ass, but he had a hard time on my kit he told me i should tighten my bass drum up a bit . i told him do what ever you want so he adjusted the tension and later on hopped behind the kit and i made a huge differance.

so now i swear by high tension and it sounds great with a pillow.
please try this its changed my druming forever.

gadrmrboy

anyone keep a metronome on a table by their kit when they set up live? and im not meaning to change the subject at all.. i think its just handy to get in a lil warmup with one before a gig, just to piss off the guitarist.