Double bassdrum setups with one rack and a floor? Wtf!

DRUMSMYWIFE

Yeah that is proboably a waste for a bass drum.Just use one bassdrum and a double pedal. What do you think?. I think with another rack tom it will look better like Vinnie Paul's. But if I ever had a double bass drum set up, I would definitely go all out like Dave Lombardo on the toms.

Johnny Cat

DRUMSMYWIFE":3b2c7dsf said:
Yeah that is proboably a waste for a bass drum.Just use one bassdrum and a double pedal. What do you think?. I think with another rack tom it will look better like Vinnie Paul's. But if I ever had a double bass drum set up, I would definitely go all out like Dave Lombardo on the toms.
I don't think it's a waste of a bass drum. It's not like that other kick is only there as a tom holder. If it was, THAT would be a waste of a bass drum -- why not just use tom stands or a rack, and a double pedal?? There are many reasons why people have two kicks instead of a double pedal, none of which I think have anything to do with how many toms they have.

Jazz legend Louie Bellson plays a setup with two bass drums and only one rack tom.

Airborne Ranger

That set-up goes back a couple of generations. The 4pc was the standard, then drummers like Louie Bellson came along with his two bass drum set-up. Many players wanted the option of using 2 bass drums (WAY before double pedals became the norm) but wanted to keep the 1 up/1 down set-up they were used to. Hence the 2 bass drums and 1 tom/1 floor tom. Louie Bellson still uses this set-up, as does Bernie Dresel with Brian Setzer. It's all about what they are comfortable with. Having 8 toms like Dave Lombardo would not be at all appropiate or needed for a big band, double bass drums would though.

Rockula!

I seem to remember telling all of you at one time or another
THERE ARE NO RULES!
If you can fit it on the stage
If you will lug it to the gig
Do it

Howepirate

This is the gayest thread:

Theres a shitload of people who can be very comfortable and creative with just 2 toms.
Better response with 2 single pedals.
Less lag with 2 single pedals.
Less false triggering if you use them.
Looks.
Sound: Maybe you want 2 different sounds?

mattcore

As i lay dying's drummer had that set up when i saw them live, but he had two floor toms. Looked effin cool to me!

Atmerrill

You know, I'm kinda glad someone posted this question. For me, it was really a very simple decision: Less clutter in front of the drums to allow the folks in front of the bandstand to be able to watch the drummer (me) play. Hey, don't know about you folks, but I get disappointed too often when I go to watch drummers play (single or double bass) at gigs - tons of bulky stands, toms and cymbals in front of the drums, and drummers in a contest to see just how low they can sit off the floor. There's no being able to see sh*t - just bobbing heads and the occasional blur of sticks. Sadly, rarely is there a possibility of getting a side view.

Just seems a shame that there's some really talented folks out there who have put in gobs of time perfecting their chops and then deny the audience a frontal opportunity to see them in action.

When I went to this set-up (yes, a Bellson arrangement), I specifically went with the flat base stands and L arms to meet both my needs, to remove anything from in front of the drums and to allow the folks in front the best chance to see. Also, with 13, 16, and 18" toms, and 12 & 13" timbales, I've got quite a range in tonal color and functionality. Anyway, that's my story. Here's what it looks like:

galgano16

devilspain":19a9lf68 said:
what brings this on?? kinda random eh?
i kno , rite? who gives a shit wht it looks like with just one tom and 2 bass drums, did it ever occur to u tht maybe its a personal preference and tht maybe tht they like it tht way, and as for the single bass dbl pedal idea, who gives a shit, 2 basses drums looks kooler and has a better sound 2 it anyway