Double Bass Set - Not Double Pedal

Hey guys, how's it going?
Just to introduce myself real quick being as I am new, names Miguel, 17 years old, been playing drums for about 9 years, play for a band called Fugitive, and I love drums just as much as anyone else out here.

Anyways, my question is this. When playing a double bass set, is it hard to have both basses tuned exactly the same? I've never played a double bass set, I prefer my pedal, but I have been curious lately being as I would like to upgrade. Also, in order to avoid having a tuning issue, what would be your views on triggering both basses, I would be using an Alesis DM5 Sound Module. Any and all comments/opinions/suggestions GREATLY appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Take care
- Miguel

Howepirate

Triggering both of your bass drums is the only way to go as i hear it. Trying to trigger 1 bass with a double pedal i hear can be a real nightmare. Unless u have axis like me :) and can use the e-kit triggers.

And no it shouldnt matter to much on the tuning part since bass drums are usually tuned quite low im sure u could find the same sound and such

Rem

Yeah, its impossible to get two drums the exact same tension and sound so most drummers will just have one or have two triggerd

unless your posh and can be botherd to fart about gettin them right lol

Brother_Bong

I put myself in tuning hell by playing 2 different brands of bass drums, Mapex and Sonor. Two different woods, etc. But I realized as I struggled to muffle, and tune them the same, that a slightly different tone ain't so bad. Kinda just enough to define each drum, so that during real fast stuff there is a slight difference. I havent made my way to triggers yet(no$), but that definately solves the problem.

PDP9000

When i first started i had a double pedal then as my band start playing more shows so i wanted a better sound with two bass drums. But when i got the other bass drum it sounded so wired then just a single one so i played with both of them for about a day and then finally got them to sound the same but it took some time by taking the heads off and trying agin so it takes patcients

A

Anonymous

I first started with a double pedal....went to a double bass kit (looks cool) however small drum risers, tuning differences, shitty or just asshole sound guys, and additional space and setup time made me switch back to a double pedal (COBRA)..........never been happier!

TheYardstick

I haven't really heard any issues about getting them to sound the same. My drum teacher switched to two bass drums because he feels more balanced that way, but I don't see a big difference. If you wish to trigger though, I say go with two bass drums.

pearldrummer333

I have a double bass set up and my drums sound almost identical even though the bass drums are different woods and have different front heads. I bought one about 2 years after i got my set off of ebay for about $50 and i put the same amount of padding inside of them and bought matching heads and they sound great. The only problem i have is drum mics. most places only have one.

Portnoy4596

SkullFucker666":1q9nbofk said:
I first started with a double pedal....went to a double bass kit (looks cool) however small drum risers, tuning differences, shitty or just asshole sound guys, and additional space and setup time made me switch back to a double pedal (COBRA)..........never been happier!

I will never ever switch from my two bass setup but i def agree with the two bass setup sound guys do fuck it up 90% of the time

~DrummaGuy~

Portnoy4596":1zatd8o1 said:
SkullFucker666":1zatd8o1 said:

I will never ever switch from my two bass setup but i def agree with the two bass setup sound guys do fuck it up 90% of the time
I have used double bass drum setup before... i currently am usin a double pedal though.... I got nothing against either... but i have no room for a double bass setup at my house and usually at gigs at clubs and stuff u'll not get much stage space so ya don't have the room for 2 bass drums. as i say i got nothing against either.... and for the record.. ya can't just blame the sound guys nd say they fuck up.. they know wat they're doing and do wat they can to make it right so i reckn ya should lay off them a bit

ShadowDrummer

I currently use just a double pedal. My main thing about gettin two kicks is transportation and the money to maintain a 2nd kick,matching heads, buying additional hardware and reconfiguring your set. My main problem is just the whole money and space but man when I put my two drumset kicks together (don't match) you'd swear you were in the filming for Transformers with all that low end. :) :twisted: 8) :evil:

Mikkey

You need to trigger both bass drums to make it sound good? How was the eighties even possible then? I own a double bass and wouldn't trade it for a double bass pedal even if I was paid. The kit I had before my current one had a double bass pedal but I'm glad I went back to the "classic" setup of two bass drums. Tuning them is a little tougher but it isn't impossible. I tune my left kick a little lower than the right. Really makes those "explosion" beats shine. Plus I like having two pedals instead of that damn bar (which is always made of the worst material ever) connecting the two. You can also have the beaters strike the same place on the kick drum whereas a double pedal strikes two different places and doesn't sound quite as "full" as two bass drums. Even blindfolded I'd be able to tell the difference between a double pedal and two bass drums if I was in the next room. If the sound guy is under 33 then you might have some problems but why let that stop you? The only downside I can think of with a double bass kit is it is a pain to wield around -but that hasn't stopped me yet and I have to carry around all my own stuff. Few issues I have such a strong opinion about in drums but this is one of them.

Rob

Ok I think I'm missing some kind of crucial point here... I can't understand why anyone would want two different drums to sound exactly the same... especially bass drums.

I guess if you can afford triggers to effectively make your physical drums redundant then there's a chance that you can afford a team of personal roadies as well.

Jaki

Empyrean Drums":8yzvikzo said:
I've used two bass drums for over a decade and a half - never been a problem
= GOOD MAN !!!!

Okay lets get some points clear here.

If you own a good twin kick drum kit by a respected brand. You will be able to tune the kick drums exactly the same. There will not be a problem.

The sound you here in todays fake ass metal shit is heavily edited drum sounds. There is no way to make a kick drum sound triggered with out triggering it.

Triggers are ONLY USED to make each hit heard for example, Hate Eternal or Nile. ( Alot of extreme metal bands I can name also )

If your a good player you will not need to trigger the kick drums till you get to about 210 bpm because as you go faster the beaters take less time to move and not going as far back to get enough power for a full kick drum hit. So it gets quieter. Though anyone who can play over 240 bpm with out triggers and it can be heard over the other sounds. I take my hat off too. ( I know Derek Roddy is working on this and George Kollias can do it )

Never ever mix brands of kick drum. Many reasons here.

Use the same heads on both batter and resonance side.

It's all common sence here chrildren.
If you listen to todays styles of metal drumming you won't learn anything. It's been tried by many and failed by many. Drummers who jump to far foward won't go anywhere. You might even want to consider not using triggers untill you have learnt to play most things.

Devindrummer12

i currently have a pearl double bass kit, two 22x18's. I have powerstroke3's on them and it took me absolutely FOREVER to tune perfectly, i dont have the money for a triggering system. If you take the time it can be done, just sucks to do.