Double bass or high-hat?

Drummer93

Would you rather have your left foot on a double bass pedal or high-hat pedal?....or right foot if you use your left more.....personally I like to use the high-hat......i think double bass is just something bad drummers use to make themselfs sound better.......nothing agaist people like that...but it gets boring when you play stright 16th notes on bass.....

drummert2k

i'd pick the hi hat. you already have one bass drum pedal you can use for that sound. the hi hat offers so many more sound options than just another kick sound. im not knocking double bass. i just see more use out of a hi hat than a second bass pedal

thurman46_2

My foot stays mosty on the high hat pedal. I do have a double bass but I dont use it 2 much. Mainly the high hat. It give you more sound ability.

hxc_adie

im personally a hit hat person, just because to me it feels keep tempo [im trained in jazz] i feel when i play double bass that im letting my foot rot away except for those little times i use it

glenndrums4life

definately hi hat, i play reggae but i also play metal i love doing accents on a double kick pedal and you have to have fast talent but hi hats just open a world of technique

drumfr

i can play sixteenth notes and many different rhythms with one bass drum pedal, but i like having double bass because i'm a metal drummer and it just adds to the power behind all of the instrumentals. but you dont have to choose hi-hat or bass pedal because you can do both, and you can do both at the same time...my old drum instructor just recently taught me a trick to use both at the same time.

mlumpkin13

I am a metal drummer so I use alot of double bass, not because I'm having to cover up for something else, but because metal (especially speed metal) calls for double bass. Now if I'm playing something different then I use my hi-hat. So it really depends on where my left foot needs to be as opposed to where I prefer it to be.

Metaldrummer89

the guy who started this topic obviously dosn't play much double bass. if all you come up with while using double bass is straight 16th notes then you shouldn't even try to play doubles. i personally have a drop clutch though, and use my left foot for both hi-hat and double bass. (i also use my left footed clave and right footed cowbell when i feel like playing latin).

drumsforlife

I have my left foot planted on my tama hi-hat pedal. And in metal, the metal my band plays, I take what you'd normally hear 16ths on double bass, and I play only eighths. Gives the song a completely different sound, plus I'm not choking the bass drum head.

markmywords

This post is really ridiculous, you can have both. the point of the drums is movement and getting different musical sounds...I don't see how your left foot is going to be stuck to one or the other unless you are un-coordinated and can't move your left (or right) foot between the two while playing.

drummer619

i got no preference more of what the song calls for. I can play double bass and hihat at the same time, and you can do more then just 16ths on kick with a double pedal, run rudiments, shuffles, sextuplets etc. Personally i've never really met a "Bad Drummer"

dillinger12

i leave my foot on my hi hat, i do have have a double bass pedal but im trying not to use as much anymore cause i feel it sounds a bit cheesy at times

Robot Jones Drums

A few years ago, I think about 2 now, I got my double bass pedal and I was super excited and wanted to be playing 16ths and stuff in no time. I think one of the best ways to get better just in general is being able to use hi-hat and double bass at the right times. Whenever I'm not on double bass, I'm clicking my hi hat or playing a technical open close sort of thing on it. When I AM on double-bass though, which I am a LOT, I'm usually not just playing straight 16ths, I believe that playing constantly is one of the lowest forms of double bass, I think taking hand-rudiment patterns and playing it exactly using the feet is a great thing to be able to take and use with a hi-hat or double bass. It's not hindering use of hi-hat OR double-bass.

X Day-mow X

Drummer93":2oixprzn said:
Would you rather have your left foot on a double bass pedal or high-hat pedal?....or right foot if you use your left more.....personally I like to use the high-hat......i think double bass is just something bad drummers use to make themselfs sound better.......nothing agaist people like that...but it gets boring when you play stright 16th notes on bass.....
you dont play metal then do you. try telling. hmmmmmmmm the drummer for job for a cowboy's drummer that he plays doubles to cover up how crap he is? or even listen to him. and then you mite find out how much crap your actually talking.
i like 2 play both.

drummert2k

X Day-mow X":1g0nv7il said:
Drummer93":1g0nv7il said:
you dont play metal then do you. try telling. hmmmmmmmm the drummer for job for a cowboy's drummer that he plays doubles to cover up how crap he is? or even listen to him. and then you mite find out how much crap your actually talking.
i like 2 play both.
metal drumming makes up a very very small piece of the percussion pie. so you cant take a post like this and automatically associate it with metal. we all know metal involves lots of fast double kick. but for 90% of the music out there, single pedal would be totally effective. and as for job for a cowboy or whoever they are, good for him for needing double bass. this post isnt about him. its about you and what you think. persoanlly i play single pedal, and its not because i cant play double bass, because trust me, i went through the double bass days and focused on matching my bass drum ablility to my hand ability so i know a thing or two about playing double kick. but playing with one bass drum is very very effective in most playing situations.

so obviously he might not play metal. who cares? that isnt what this topic was about. not everyone likes metal and not everyone likes double kick. its a matter of opinion, not playing ability.

osiris90210

i use both... i change alot between my hats and bass so i dont really have preference i like the open hats but also do little jazz bits on the hats, so yeah, i go both

veklynvhyz

ive worked on being able do almost do diddles with my bass foot, so i can do two quick taps on a tom then two on bass, and to an untrained ear, im playing double bass thus freeing up my right foot for the hi hat, im left handed btw.

quikstang2

Depends what band I'm playing with.

In metal bands I keep it on my left bass drum pedal since that's where it's needed and that's how I have my kit centered. I play 16th notes with my right foot, my left foot is used for faster stuff and different rhythmic patterns... not to make myself "sound better".

In my rock/alternative/reggae band I keep it on the hi-hats because I'm constantly using them for different sounds and I rarely ever use the double pedal unless I'm throwing in some of my metal influences to make it unique, hence the double pedal and not double bass drums for that band.

Something else I love doing is keeping my left foot on the hi-hat and the double pedal at the same time.

drummer4thefreaks

i switch between the two. im not trained in any particular style as i like to be versatile, but i automatically keep my foot on the hi-hat pedal unless i've just played a double bass groove, and have another coming up shortly. I practice rudiments with my feet as well as hands, and i switch pedals quickly whenever i need to use the two (unlike some of my friends who can use the double and keep their toes on the hats o_O)

I dont find constant double bass to be low, annoying, degrading or anything like that, particularly at faster tempos, i just class it as a muscle workout lol. Normally when i play metal i dont just play straight 16ths, i like to compliment the song's riff with it (unless im covering a song where theres straight 16ths of course ;))