double bass not rudiments but...

seandude

i know i spelld that wrong and idc

but how do i do straight 16 notes
like idk my legs just stop fter a while
i just can keep it going
how cn i get better at this
wht do i need to do excersizes...i just dontknow

cuz i practice rudments but i can keep it going...u know?

Naicitrom

Just keep practising.
Have you had the pedal long?
You can do stuff like put ankle weights on but just sitting and starting 16ths slowly will build it up...

drummert2k

seandude":2noqc5q6 said:

i just can keep it going

focus on all the down beats. make sure your hands and kick are hitting at the same time. use a metronome so your body cant naturally slow down when it starts getting rough. start slow at like 120 bpm and just work up from there. before you work to much with double pedal, making your right foot super solid and getting your left foot independant on the hi hat will help greatly when you go back and hook your double pedal up.

Alcyon

Go slow! SLOW DOWN. If you can't keep going after a while then you're going too fast. Pick a speed where you can go forever and work on it like that, adding a couple BPM every day.

Brack

Everything these guys are saying is definitely true... but what helped me improve my speed and endurance for double bass playing was practicing rhythms while in class at the university I attend as well as in high school a few years back.

Everyday - before, after, and sometimes even during class - I would just sit there at my desk and practice double bass rhythms and keep time with 8th notes, 16th notes, etc. It doesn't even have to be school. I practiced at work, restaurants, at home off the set, stop lights, and even church (very quietly though, :))It eventually became a habit for me to contantly keep my feet moving. The fact that floors don't have a rebound also helps you once you get back on the pedals and then you can really notice your improvement.

I know it may make you look like a nervous wreck to others who don't know what you do, but it pays off in the end. Oh, and if people start showing annoyance or anything of the sort, I would recommend a pair of shoes that arent so loud on tile or carpet. Or just sit in the back of the class... that's what I did.

This worked for me, so you might wanna give it a shot.

chichi1816

i found that workin out and running actually had a huge role in my endurance. before when i didn't work out i would only be able to keep my db goin for a couple of measures...now it feels like i can go for a couple of minutes and be tired at the end though lol. but that's just what i tried. results may vary

infiznitch

seandude":28mjwcdn said:

i just can keep it going

yea, i can totally understand where you are coming from. Yes all of these other methods are pretty alright, like practicing with a met and starting slow and gradually speeding and what not, but the fact remains that if your technique is off then OBVIOUSLY you're going to have problems. I started playing doublekick heel up, and i feel like i have stop progressing. The reason for this COULD be that my endurance is down and my muscles aren't built enough... but a simpler solution rather than building endurance and muscle strength... it to use LESS muscle. I don't know if you're playing heel up, but if you are and this is your problem... then start playing heel down. instead of using your whole leg to power through all those quick beats, just use your calf muscles. ankle weights will certainly help your endurance on your whole leg, but practicing with heel down technique is a sure fire way to get faster quiker, all the pros do it, and i have recently, and i have progressed my heel down speed, MUCH faster than my heel up.
If you choose to use heel down from now on, then of course you want to start slow to get the coordination down... from there it's up to you how fast you want to go. Really I've just been pushing myself, going as fast as i can go for as long as i can everyday. then i just work on playing all my band's songs at the correct tempos and try playing them all the way through with hell down. ALSO make SURE you stretch your calves out well before playing, or you'll crampup. just place your platform/sole of your shoe against a wall and bend your achilles as far as you can stretch it. stretch stretch stretch both legs and then start playing. cramping is no fun, and you can't build your muscles when it happens.
Sorry to throw so much at you at once, but I liftweights as well, so when im on "leg night" i be sure to work extra hard on my calves. If you choose to workout as well, then make sure you work extra hard on the calf machines. I would also recommend taking some supplements (Muscle Milk is an excellent protein transport, which helps promote muscle growth, and burns fatty acids, while you workout, after you work out, and while you sleep. If you choose this protein supplement, drink one when you wake, during/before your workout, and after workout or if you work out as late as i do then right before you go to bed!) Being in healthy condition is OPTIMUM for a drummer. at least get a mile run in a day, and take a multivitamin.
Man i just gave you a lecture, not only on double bass but about fitness! Honestly though, it's very important for a drummer to be in good shape! let me know if you need any more help... or not

infiznitch

chichi1816":20qlsuun said:
i found that workin out and running actually had a huge role in my endurance. before when i didn't work out i would only be able to keep my db goin for a couple of measures...now it feels like i can go for a couple of minutes and be tired at the end though lol. but that's just what i tried. results may vary
haha sorry i didn't see your post when i wrote that last one!

Eiren

Improved technique also helps. I found that since I started using swivel-foot technique for fast double kick, it meant that it didn't fatigue me as much.