Double Bass Fills in Jazz?

Shutt94

Okay, heya guys. Anyway, I was reading somewhere, and I thought I had heard that the original idea of using two basses was thought up by a jazz player..now, since i'm in jazz band, I thought this would be interesting. Would it be too out of place for a few double bass fills now and then? Not going to do anything heavy, just something that fits, while using the bass.

Alan_

yeah, louie bellson was the pioneer with double bass. he pretty much used it only when soloing tho. remember, one of the foundations of jazz timekeeping is the hi-hat played with the foot. I've seen dennis chambers rock out some crazy fills with double pedal when he played in the organ trio with john mclaughlin, just pop the foot over for a second then move back to the hi-hat to keep the 2 and 4 going.

Brother_Bong

Yeah, I don't think you would want to roll on them like in a metal tune. Tasty stuff like crash triplets, or RRL RRL.

SlackBackLazy

Yeah well some of my fav double bass beats are in the 12 8 blues style and im sure you could fit some cracking fills in there

Shutt94

Yeah, I just wanted to pop them in for a quick fill. Now I just have to convince director to let me. Heh.