does the kind of bass drum pedal really matter?

mute

i have a DW 4000 series double-bass pedal. it was super cheap when i got it (about $75 new) and has worked pretty decently. i've only ever used DW's except for an old speed king i inherited a while back.

anyway, i've never seen another dw 4000. anyone ever heard of them? it doesn't seem that great but does it really even matter? how much difference can it really make? hopefully little, since i probably can't afford another for a long time.

if it does, what is a good, cheap pedal for someone used to dws?

BillRayDrums

It's fine. A DW4000 is a "return" to the beginning days of the DW7000. In other words, the 7000 started out as what the 4000 now is, and had a bunch of features added. If it is solid underfoot and feels OK, then that is all you need. If it's loose and slips around alot, it needs replacing or just a simple tightening. If you do tighten the pedal I recommend replacing the zinc screws with stainless...just take one of them down to the hardware store. If you don't want to do that (or can't) then use a drill with the clutch torque set to a fairly tight setting. You gotta torque them in there quick . But if you don't understand that stuff then get help.

Speed is something you will develop; brand "A" vs brand "B" is not a factor with a beginning drummer. When you learn the proper technique to gain said speed then you will be able to dial in to different flavors of the bass drum pedals.

Atmerrill

mute":l7eupcph said:
how much difference can it really make? hopefully little, since i probably can't afford another for a long time.

if it does, what is a good, cheap pedal for someone used to dws?
You know, there are things you can scrimp on, but pedals - good quality pedals, is not one of the things I'd ever recommend doing so with. We're too dependent on them for the groove.

DW's 4000 and 5000 series are old reputable designs - dating back to the sixties with the Gretsch Floating Action pedal. Not fancy, but they've got a fluid feel to them - esp. as a strap pedal.

I think I'd recommend you play some different pedals (say at a Guitar Center) - may the Axis Pedal, Pearl has some nice ones as does Gibraltar - find some that feel effortless to you and then save up for 'em. You'll thank yourself later on.

drumur

i have a DW 4000 series double-bass pedal. it was super cheap when i got it (about $75 new) and has worked pretty decently.
I think that's the one Mike Johnston uses and he can have any one he wants free. He has a great single pedal technique.

I did some of my best playing with an old Rogers Swivelmatic. I thought the Camco was pretty good too. (that's probably similar to the DW)
Bonham used a Ludwig Speed King.

DrumsPlus

If it feels good to you then I would suggest staying with it. I wouldn't say that it's the best, but DW does have a reputation for putting out quality hardware. You may want to try some out for future reference.

SGarrett

drumur":3lbd5hul said:
i have a DW 4000 series double-bass pedal. it was super cheap when i got it (about $75 new) and has worked pretty decently.
I think that's the one Mike Johnston uses and he can have any one he wants free. He has a great single pedal technique.

I did some of my best playing with an old Rogers Swivelmatic. I thought the Camco was pretty good too. (that's probably similar to the DW)
Bonham used a Ludwig Speed King.
I'm pretty sure he uses a 9000. I know he used to use a 5000 single.

drumur

I had to go check...sorry Garrett. I remember reading it. BTW...he only plays single...no double.

this is quoted by Mike Johnston
I always use a DW 4000. It's the lamest pedal they make and that's why I play it. I like to know that my foot is doing the work and not the pedal.

Hope that helps,
Mike Johnston
mikeslessons dot com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4ZUPEgbzu0

BillRayDrums

drumur":1hfekv6z said:
I had to go check...sorry Garrett. I remember reading it. BTW...he only plays single...no double.

I always use a DW 4000. It's the lamest pedal they make and that's why I play it. I like to know that my foot is doing the work and not the pedal.

Hope that helps,
Mike Johnston
mikeslessons dot com
In no way is a DW4000 a "lame" pedal. Wanna know lame? Getting stuck on a 4 month gig in a foreign country with a set of Pearl FORUM series with lug casings that break almost nightly, and a pedal that looks like it was cobbled together in a bike shop. THAT's lame.

I can't use that 9000 pedal. It's too bulky, I don't like the way it feels, and it's like a bajillion dollars. Give me a DW5000 and I'm good every time. :)

Empyrean Drums

BillRayDrums":27826wsy said:
Wanna know lame? Getting stuck on a 4 month gig in a foreign country with a set of Pearl FORUM series with lug casings that break almost nightly, and a pedal that looks like it was cobbled together in a bike shop. THAT's lame.

Sounds like a Jack Koshick sponsored event.

BillRayDrums

Empyrean Drums":32df9rvk said:
BillRayDrums":32df9rvk said:
Wanna know lame? Getting stuck on a 4 month gig in a foreign country with a set of Pearl FORUM series with lug casings that break almost nightly, and a pedal that looks like it was cobbled together in a bike shop. THAT's lame.

I had to steal lug casings from the bottoms of the drums, therefore turning that kit into a set of concert toms. :) I have never played a kit that exploded as you played it. :)

Empyrean Drums

BillRayDrums":3ukav780 said:
Empyrean Drums":3ukav780 said:
BillRayDrums":3ukav780 said:

I had to steal lug casings from the bottoms of the drums, therefore turning that kit into a set of concert toms. :) I have never played a kit that exploded as you played it. :)
Have you played on duct tape?

(or as I should say-paid $1000 and traveled 1000 miles for the privilege)

BillRayDrums

Empyrean Drums":3agaiiy6 said:
BillRayDrums":3agaiiy6 said:
Empyrean Drums":3agaiiy6 said:
BillRayDrums":3agaiiy6 said:

Have you played on duct tape?

(or as I should say-paid $1000 and traveled 1000 miles for the privilege)
Nope but I've played on postage stamps (as in, tiny stages) :D

SGarrett

drumur":2u4obui1 said:

Hope that helps,
Mike Johnston
mikeslessons dot com
There ya have it. He used to say the same thing about the $200 complete drum sets. He'd walk right past the DWs, Pearl Masters, etc. and say "if I can't make this thing sound I don't have any business playing drums".

BillRayDrums

SGarrett":1y4m1ki1 said:
drumur":1y4m1ki1 said:

Hope that helps,
Mike Johnston
mikeslessons dot com
There ya have it. He used to say the same thing about the $200 complete drum sets. He'd walk right past the DWs, Pearl Masters, etc. and say "if I can't make this thing sound I don't have any business playing drums".
Absolutely. It's not the drums, it's the player. If you can "polish a turd" imagine how a great set will sound.

drumur

It's true...I go to the student's homes to teach. most of them have entry level kits and you'd be surprised how good they can sound.
When I was a kid, I had a friend who had a "no-name" guitar he bought from a department store. This guy was incredible. He blew everybody away with his playing and his sound.
I've seen guys with high end gear that sound like crap.
I've played on high end kits that sound like crap.

EOTE_drummer

BillRayDrums":svrbbfm0 said:
SGarrett":svrbbfm0 said:
drumur":svrbbfm0 said:

Hope that helps,
Mike Johnston
mikeslessons dot com
haha thats pretty good.

Absolutely. It's not the drums, it's the player. If you can "polish a turd" imagine how a great set will sound.

mute

not the gear but the player...

that's kind of what i thought but had seen a couple bass drum pedal threads. it's good to hear the 4000 isn't some bastard mutant of a pedal hiding in the basement. it's been solid for me so far.

i am interested in checking out some other kinds, since i've mostly used only dws. i did really like that speed king in a weird way.

MFTD

i guess this is off subject but i think it is strange how you can spend more on a pedal then you paid for drum set......not including the cymbals