does anyone play...

DrewDeLaPoots

using traditional grip? i've seen a few pictures on here and not a whole lot of people use it if any. i personally prefer playing traditional over match-grip and i mostly play metal. anyone else? :p

Daneman

I use it occassionally, depending on the feel of the piece.

Interesting that you play traditional in more of a rock setting- few people do anymore. But it's certainly not a "jazz" grip- Stewart Copeland uses traditional grip pretty much all the time, and he's one of the hardest hitters I've seen.

DrewDeLaPoots

Daneman":xjtbrc2m said:
I use it occassionally, depending on the feel of the piece.

Interesting that you play traditional in more of a rock setting- few people do anymore. But it's certainly not a "jazz" grip- Stewart Copeland uses traditional grip pretty much all the time, and he's one of the hardest hitters I've seen.
yea i feel i hit harder with traditional grip instead of playing matchgrip and it just feels and looks good.

JimmiRock

i've been working on my snare techniques laterly quite abit...and i just can't get enough power out of traditional, although i do with my right hand :p

so maybe i'll start playing some jazz on a left-handed set up? :D

Dale

I generally use traditional grip for more delicate technique and use matched grip for most everything else. I play timbales and other assorted percussion and trad' grip does not suit that type of playing.