Does anyone know anything about this drum set?

Daran

I bought my drum set about 5 years ago from an old friend for $3000.00. I can't seem to find any info on this kit??? I know it's a late 80's early 90's 9pc Pearl kit but I cant find anything else about it. I was wondering if it was a series before the Master Series or Session Series? The tags say All Maple Shell, if that helps. They are the loudest drums I've heard ever. The toms are so deep and the maple, I guess, make them so loud you don't have to mic them very often, only the loudest outdoor gigs. I play lead guitar and standing in front of them is amazing. A few of my drummers would use there own kits for gigs and stuff and they never seemed half as loud. There are some road scars in the finish but it still looks great, transparent red, the wood grain really shows through nice. Anyway, anyone have any info?

Thanks

Airborne Ranger

By your description I think what you have is the MLX series. They also made a birch-shelled version called the BLX. Those two, along with their Z-Custom (MZX) series were Pearl's flagship lines. Pearl can get confusing at times, series names appear, disappear, then reappear years later on a different series of drums. The MLX series had thick 6-ply maple shells and the finish you have was called Sequoia Red and was very nice. They offered a wide arrary of lacquer finishes. Your drums probably have the one-piece long lugs which were popular in the late-80's. The MLX/BLX/MZX were all precursors to the Masters line which replaced them.

Daran

Thank you for all the info, I appreciate it.

By long lugs do you mean like the bass drum lugs that hold the hoop and head on?

Daran

Yes, as a matter of fact they do have one solid piece lugs then. I never noticed what drums come with now a days.

withrhythm

I sold Pearl in the 90's and it sounds like MLX for sure... I personally had a BLX that sounded great!

Check the shell ply if you can count it.... The master Series that slowly replaced the MLX and BLX are 4-ply...
That was around the time DW was showing everyone that 4-ply was working. So the big boys dropped all the 10-ply that were heavier.

The MLX and BLX are 6 or 8 play, so that should be a good sign too... I am wondering what happened to your badges. A metal badge was on every drum...

Good Luck!

Daran

Each shell has a badge, all they say on them is the Pearl logo and below that it says "All Maple Shell". I will see if I can count the plys.

GeorgeDemise

Yeah mine were like that but in black, 17" (cant remember how deep) floor, the rack was a mid rack and i think was 14" and a 24x16" bass. I got it off ebay and it came with a shitty 12" that was made out of like plastic or something i think.

Daran

That looks exactly like them, you really can't see the wood grain in pictures, it just won't show up for some reason. The shells are very thick and heavy, and like I said they are LOUD. Rack Toms are 12x10, 13x11, 14x12, 15x14 Floor Toms are 16x16, 18x16 Bass Drums are 24x16 The Snare is a Pearl Master Custom 14 x 5 1/2 with natural maple finish. I would like to sell them, it's just too big. And I can't play worth a crap anyway. I'd like to buy a 5 pc Pearl Master series.