Do you use heavier sticks for practice?

loop

Do you use heavier sticks for practice? I use Vic Firth Dom Famularos as practice sticks and they're a bit bigger and heavier than average sticks. While playing rehearsals and gigs I use smaller and lighter sticks and I think I'm a bit faster with them. Do you think it is a good idea?

NWCrusher

Since I can't seem to locate those Bobby Rock stick weights ( :lol: ), I use a pair of 3S to warmup with.

Shalaq

For practice I use my regular sticks or Vic Firth SD1s- round tip, light long. Huge rebound- teaches you control over the sticks.

Rob the Drummer

I like to warm up with the sticks that I play on. Bigger sticks won't make you faster, practicing the right things and doing reps will. I think you should use the sticks that you are used to when you play.

i use vaters, so they are what most you would consider "heavy". i like the heavier sticks better, i feel like they flow more, and its not so much me pushing them, but just keeping them going. so no i use the same for practice and play. like Rob said, lots and lots of reps does it

jwoo10

I do... I use 5b's for practice and 7a's for gig's...

it makes a HUGE diifference (not only in my stamina...BUT in my accuracy)...

Period!

I use zildjian rocks to practice and 5b dips when I play. I find the rocks are heavy and long and give my hands a good work out. I agree that speed comes from a proper practice but I think good muscle tone helps a lot with your stamina.

yungfunk

I certainly use a much heavier stick to practice with.I use the Vick Firth Drum and B. Core stick its a thicker stick with most of the density toword the front at least it seems to be ,But basicaly like any other strengthening you do with your body it usually will require training with a slightly more heavy weight or in this case stick.

Ajax4

i agree that its a case of the same stick for warming up and playing, i use the zildjian travis barker signiture model.
I wish ahead would produce an extreme 5A, like vic firth, that would be ideal

Qbs

Rob the Drummer":29brabrq said:
I like to warm up with the sticks that I play on. Bigger sticks won't make you faster, practicing the right things and doing reps will. I think you should use the sticks that you are used to when you play.
+1

BillRayDrums

Nope. I play with what I play with.

Matter of fact, I don't so much as strike a single surface before I play. Just a little stretching of the wrists, some upward-snaps, and a little "drumstick tai' chi" does me fine.

I'm far too lazy to warm up. :)

BillRayDrums

Pro-Mark 2B's for everything....even light jazz gigs. It's not the stick weight that causes volume imbalances; for my hand a larger diameter stick gives me a good grip and balance. I let the sticks do most of the work.

I see myself as a "stick holder" and the sticks are what becomes alive. THat helps me keep my ego out of the music. :)

barn_animal

i warmup on a practice pad with vic firth corps masters (marching sticks) im not sure if it makes me faster or does anything to improve how i play but i like to think it does.

stevo

i use vater 2b's, thier a little too heavy for me, but when i go to a lighter stick its so much eisier to get certain things down.

Warm Up. 5A (some times 2B too) Powersticks brand.
Then I warm up a bit more with 7A, I mean depending on the object of the exercise y change the stick I'm using.

Then for study/practice y alternate the sticks but using most of all 7A or Jazz Models (Regal Tip for example).

Well, That's me. See' yaa'