Do you ever just get "the calling?"

MasterShake89

sometimes im just sitting around. could be on the computer, watching tv, playin video games, or hangin out with my friends and i just get the urge to play. Then i have to go sit down at my set, belt out either a neverending type 20 minute solo or jam thru a few songs i like a lot at the time.

does this happen to anyone else? just get the urge to play for no reason at all sometimes?
(sometimes hearing a beat or pattern you really like in a song can spur it too)

I wish I could be playing all the time and I'm lucky enough to be able to spend hours behind my kit each day either teaching or practicing alone or with my band. However I know exactly what you mean. I could be grocery shopping or whatever and get a sudden inspiration and I'd just have to go to my kit lol.

ChrisNichols

For sure. A lot of time I'll just be sitting around at work, school, anywhere really, and all of a sudden it hits me 'I really wish I had me fucking drums right now.'

Deanoatc

It happens to me all the time!!! I wake up in the morning and its all I want to do. I think about it all day long. I EAT, SLEEP, DRINK, LIVE MY DRUMS!!!! Thats the best feeling about being a drummer.

phoenix7289

Happens all the time! Just I can't play after 9pm. And my parents get annoyed because it makes it hard for them to watch tv.... =/

blackreign

all the time...

I can't stand it, all I want to do is play drums but given the current situation in my house (there all night shift, im not) I only get mabye an hour a day...

I need to get some practice pads or an electronic kit

phoenix7289

I have been in the hospital before for undisclosed reasons for lengthy periods of time... and I was dying.. like constantly repeating songs in my head and air drumming being like, "I WANT MY DRUMS!!!" And then crying (no jk) But yah it sucked >.<

Man, I can relate to that all too well. Dums are probably the best stress reliever to top it all off. What I love about the drums, is it's a dance. It's the one instrument that you are expressing your entire body with sound. And man, when that's taken away from you...it hurts. It's good to see a site like this now. I love the passion of drummers

Stundek

That happens to me on a regular basis.

I could be doing my English paper and listening to say, Bloc Party at the same time.

Then all of a sudden, might hear Matt Tong do a really great fill or whatever, then I have to head into the next room to replicate it. Or in my case, try to!! :-D

eml

Happens daily, especially if I'm in a bad mood (if I am I usually put life aside and attend my therapy ie. drums).

MasterShake89

i saw this at the top of the forum and was like "wow, I feel like i've read this thread before." then i realized i posted it a year and a half ago. lol

but yes, the calling still happens. strikes when you least expect it sometimes too.