DO U LIKE BEING TECHNICAL OR SIMPLISTIC?

WELL AS FOR ME ITS LESS IS MORE. I RATHER BE LAYING A SIMPLE DRUM BEAT THEN BUILDING UP. I PLAY WITH FEELING. NOT GOING CRAZY WITH TIMING AND TRYING TO SHOW HOW FAST U CAN PLAY.

druming=life

when i'm in a band or playing with anyone really then i always lay back and i'm more simplistic, just adding to the song, not showing off just finding the pocket, but on my own i love to be as technical as possible, for instance i'm a huge tool fan and have been since i was 11, and i really love to play with my influences from that band showing greatly, not saying i'm the next Danny Carrey or anything, lol, but yea i suppose i like playing both technical and simplistic

anavrinIV

if i play with a band then i play to the music. sometimes that calls for more technicality, sometimes for complete simplicity. the groove is the most important part and you can groove simply or technically, its all in the music.

m

I would like to think of it more as playing 'musically,' than simple vs. technical.

Whatever the music calls for, that's what's appropriate for the song.

BillRayDrums

As a musician it's your job to read your crowd and give them what they want. The other night I played at a function where the crowd was more sophisticated, the listening type. Those are the ones you want to play "technical" for- I did, and they enjoyed it.

Saturday I was at a swing dance gig, and all that was required was the laying down of a good simple beat.

Technical or simple, I like being able to read the crowd and play what's appropriate. When you reach the person, that's always a great thing.

SGarrett

I try to play a mixture. I call it "spiced meat and potatoes". :D

I play fairly simple grooves with interesting and unobtrusive fills. My main goal is making sure I'm playing for the song and not for myself.

Howepirate

SGarrett":1nrrheho said:

I play fairly simple grooves with interesting and unobtrusive fills. My main goal is making sure I'm playing for the song and not for myself.
And that your getting paid for it right?

SGarrett

Howepirate":2qfah277 said:
SGarrett":2qfah277 said:

Real world > You. Grow up. :)

But since you were an asshole. Yes, I like to get paid for playing as often as possible. You'll get to that point too if drumming actually means anything to you. Let's see, work a nine to five or get paid to play drums. Hmm. Really tough choice. Oh wait, no it's not. ;)

FelterSkelter

I like playing simple mostly. It leaves a lot of room to throw in "technical" fills, but I do not equate technical with speed. I'm not into playing real fast. I'm more of a groove drummer.

xrftsx

all my band plays is technical,
espacally for the breakdowns.
they are insanely technical with timing between snare hits.
so i never hit the china and snare at the same time. it sounds soo kick ass.

Howepirate

SGarrett":u7qndytz said:
Howepirate":u7qndytz said:
SGarrett":u7qndytz said:

Real world > You. Grow up. :)

But since you were an asshole. Yes, I like to get paid for playing as often as possible. You'll get to that point too if drumming actually means anything to you. Let's see, work a nine to five or get paid to play drums. Hmm. Really tough choice. Oh wait, no it's not. ;)
Your a funny guy. I think you've let the years of experience get into your tiny attention span tho. You dont realize that i'm the next you but im gonna do a lot different to not turn into an asshole like yourself.

I'm going to love living in an apartment where i cant play the drums. Having to keep them stored in my bands warehouse so we can practice is a dream. Barely making enough money at the local drum shop to afford rent and utils and insurance is great.

Touring all over america and barely making over what you make in the drum shop for a years worth playing what you would call shitty music is nothing but a dream to me.

BillRayDrums

Hey, nobody said this business is easy!! I live like a hermit in paradise and do what I love.

If you have a defeatist attitude it will wear you down real quick. Then you become the asshole. Face it- you're going to come off as an asshole to someone, somewhere.....I do, and all the time!! I don't care either.

And it's not all creamcheese and honey over here either. Some days are real dark for me....thanks to about 1000 hours of counseling and therapy I've got some great checks & balances to hold the boat together should a storm approach and start wrackin' my beams. Yeah, divorce will kind of do that to you. ;)

Srsly dood get over the schleprock attitude. If you're gonna beat your head against the wall do it on YOUR OWN TERMS. And if "your own terms" are really someone elses' terms that are masquerading as "your terms" then it's time to throw down all the marbles, let them scatter, and see what emerges from the mess you'd made.

Yeah, that's kinda how I get shit done in my life. ;)

Howepirate

BillRayDrums":2v7q4hin said:
Hey, nobody said this business is easy!! I live like a hermit in paradise and do what I love.

If you have a defeatist attitude it will wear you down real quick. Then you become the asshole. Face it- you're going to come off as an asshole to someone, somewhere.....I do, and all the time!! I don't care either.

And it's not all creamcheese and honey over here either. Some days are real dark for me....thanks to about 1000 hours of counseling and therapy I've got some great checks & balances to hold the boat together should a storm approach and start wrackin' my beams. Yeah, divorce will kind of do that to you. ;)

Srsly dood get over the schleprock attitude. If you're gonna beat your head against the wall do it on YOUR OWN TERMS. And if "your own terms" are really someone elses' terms that are masquerading as "your terms" then it's time to throw down all the marbles, let them scatter, and see what emerges from the mess you'd made.

Yeah, that's kinda how I get shit done in my life. ;)
WTF are you talkin about. I was just putting my life through his eyes cuz he spends every minute of it earning a dime and nickel

BillRayDrums

Howepirate":jqz0685s said:
WTF are you talkin about. I was just putting my life through his eyes cuz he spends every minute of it earning a dime and nickel
I guess that makes two of us. :) Either you're spending or you're making money. I don't know how old you are but I can tell you that being in a professional musician you have to watch every cent you spend and earn.