Direct Drive Bass drum pedal

DrumminBari

I was wonder what everyones thoughts where on direct drive. I have playing Axis for years, so all I have played for along time has been direct drive. For me it is just a smoother more reliable set up. But what really got me was I have some friends who drum will simply laugh at the idea. What do you guys think?

Mike T

I am with you i do not like the chains or leather or rubber strips i use ludwig speed king s and have for alot of years since the mid 60's just love em ...direct for me is just a better feel.

m

I really like direct drive pedals. I recently got a middle-pedal with a chain drive and it's taking me some getting used to. Not as fast and smooth feeling as the Axis drive.

It's just something you have to get used to; if you try something new or 'funny/different-looking' some drummers/other musicians are going to make fun of it.

zen_drummer

m":1le3uwvn said:
if you try something new or 'funny/different-looking' some drummers/other musicians are going to make fun of it.
There's nothing new about direct drive pedals... the very first Ludwig pedal from 1909 was direct drive. In fact, chain drive pedals didn't come around until the late 60's. Before that, everything was leather straps or direct.

Personally, I think chain drive pedals feel awful compared to direct drive.