Difffrent ways to get your legs strong for double bass.

PDP9000

Hey i just wanted to know if anyone knew how to get ur legs stronger
for double bass what kinda of leg work outs should you do and what
did you do?

Hack_and_Slash

I'm guessing the only real efficient way is to just practice. I'm not really the most fit person but just practicing helped me more than anything. I've been doing leg extensions and curls to see if they help but so far I don't see any effect.

cableman26

I don't play double bass. That said, I don't think it has anything to do with actually building muscles as much as it does building muscle memory. You can build your legs strong as hell, but that won't make you any faster or more coordinated. Just practice with your pedals, singles, doubles, paradiddles, etc...

Atmerrill

PDP9000":1pu83j2u said:
did you do?
Since I went to it 14 months ago, I decided to "go back to school" with the left foot. Stick Control for developing the strength in the left foot - watching how the right foot has been playing, and trying to get the same kind of ease with the left. Results? They're playing together pretty well, but the doubles with the left is needing time. Fortunately, I've had 30 years of playing singles with the left foot - that gave me strength, but it hasn't meant that the feet automatically worked well on the bass pedals, or in doing phrases. Still, it's been a lot of fun.

SGarrett

Like, workouts? Run, jump rope on the balls of your feet, do toe raises on a raised platform, lunges, and squats. The more fit your muscles are, the easier technique is.

DrumsPlus

I started playing stuff that I usually only play with my right foot with my left. That's helped a lot, but to get a steady beat down, I watch TV and just practice with the pedals and a pad. I've been doing that steady for a few months and I notice a difference, but it still takes more work. I have been able to track my progress though, so I know it works for me.

okjohne

SGarrett":2dklzz3j said:
Like, workouts? Run, jump rope on the balls of your feet, do toe raises on a raised platform, lunges, and squats. The more fit your muscles are, the easier technique is.
All due repect but exersise is bull %$*&... The muscles that alow you to have fine and controlled motor movements are not about power and strength. You have to find the right position whether it be for hands and feet and work on that, on the drums. You don't need to hit them strong but with accuracy and meter. The little control muscles can hit as hard and as soft as you want with training.

i'll say it again drive with your leg/hip, pivot point is the ankle. this is where the beat can be devided. Control is at the ball of your foot and the knee.

drumur

I think it's more important to adjust your equipment so it is effortless to play.
Then work on technique.
Also, i endurance is more important.
I don't think it requires strength.

SGarrett

okjohne":27byylhr said:
SGarrett":27byylhr said:
All due repect but exersise is bull %$*&... The muscles that alow you to have fine and controlled motor movements are not about power and strength. You have to find the right position whether it be for hands and feet and work on that, on the drums. You don't need to hit them strong but with accuracy and meter. The little control muscles can hit as hard and as soft as you want with training.

i'll say it again drive with your leg/hip, pivot point is the ankle. this is where the beat can be devided. Control is at the ball of your foot and the knee.
My anatomy teacher and martial art instructor would disagree with you. ;)

I'm not talking about bodybuilding, I'm talking about getting into shape. You do realize that when you jump rope you're using all of the small stabilizer muscles, yes? You're increasing the amount of work your ankles and calves can do, yes? You're increasing the strength in your quads and hips so you can pick your leg up with less effort, yes?

By the way, control is your ankle.

xdoseonex

SGarrett":2ip2ghzj said:
okjohne":2ip2ghzj said:
SGarrett":2ip2ghzj said:

I'm not talking about bodybuilding, I'm talking about getting into shape. You do realize that when you jump rope you're using all of the small stabilizer muscles, yes? You're increasing the amount of work your ankles and calves can do, yes? You're increasing the strength in your quads and hips so you can pick your leg up with less effort, yes?

Control is most definately in the ankle

drumur

That's what I was saying ...endurance training may be helpful.
Oh, and weightlifting...only if you tighten your springs real tight. LOL
Just kidding

okjohne

xdoseonex":30hzb0ap said:
SGarrett":30hzb0ap said:
okjohne":30hzb0ap said:
SGarrett":30hzb0ap said:

Control is most definately in the ankle
Yes I have that a little funky. You do control with the ankle.. Hell I'm in great shape but i still don't think it is the key to kick playing. It's like a balance thing. Sorta like a baseball pitcher is not ussualy a muscle dude.

Potatoe Snack

run a marathon, learn how to kick box, convert to judaism, play soccer, eat your veggies and make sure to kiss your mama everytime you leave the house.

tapeworm97

riding a bike works really great, especially a mountain bike and crank it to the highest so it would be hard to pedal.

stump

Ummm...practice double bass. How better to build muscle for a certain task than to perform and practice that task IMO. P.O.Y!

Howepirate

stump":3306kilr said:
Ummm...practice double bass. How better to build muscle for a certain task than to perform and practice that task IMO. P.O.Y!
Duh

+1 for the most obvious answer haha.

I haven't ran in half a year and I can still play double bass plenty fast...Just started running again and my legs feel heavy and I'm a little slower.

I'm sure I'll get used to the good old bodybuilding/running 3943257852miles routine again.

Pukes lol

Alan_

I've just started the thomas lang creative coordination book/cd. it offers a very systematic approach to double kick, and will force you to play rhythms and combinations that are physically uncomfortable at first. after just a few days I have noticed a surprisingly big difference. highly recommended.

Danidrums

PDP9000":2uboxiw1 said:
did you do?
Man I've been playing double bass drum for more than 6 years, the best thing is just being in front of a drum kit and starting playing very slow....that's all