Difference between Clear and Coated heads.

Owloalx

I've heard people say over and over again that either one is better than the other, but no one really gives any reason why, so whats the difference between clear, and coated drum heads?

BillRayDrums

I've been trying to figure out that for years. :)

Coated heads have a grain to them and that grain warms the sound up. Imagine thousands of tiny cooling fins on the drumhead- that's what the coating does. However, I find that I have to tune the drums up a tiny bit higher to get a little more tone out of them (especially my flor tom, which I usually keep loose).

Really, when I change to coated from clear it's because I'm sick of seeing through the drum. For me it's merely a change of scenery. :)

~B

drumstx06

i agree with billray on this one for as much as i can remember, but i havent used coated heads in years

also...i was wondering. have any of you guys ever had any luck with the remo ebony heads??? i was thinking about trying them just to see how well they do... :?

Bowmanator

stay away from the remo ebony stuff
no go
I like the tone and warmth of coated 1 plys, but they have not volume to them, so I switch out from 2 ply clear and 1 ply coated, usually G2's and g1's from the Evans bunch. 2 ply coated are to dead, not resonance that the 1 plys provide.
A great head Ive seen some people use sre the remo 1 ply clear with the coating around the edge that come on stock DW kits. They sound great, I just hate having to orfder gear through the mail.

dirk

It makes a big difference when U use brushes to play soft stuff. Other then that I found that with most of the coated ones the rebound is softer (depending what type of coating has been applied). However, I tried a lot of heads and in the end I would choose them for what they sound like. Clear or coated...

lemoncleanser1

i have tried many different heads and I gotta say it is all about preference. I have two kits (and building a third) and at one time I have one set with clear and one set with coated... I personally like the heavier tones from the coated heads..... but then again I do have it tuned a little differently....

it's all about preference

Has anyone tried the Kevlar heads by remo yet... I wanna hear some opinions before I commit to spending that much on a drum head

"Remo K-Falam Clear Dot Batter Drum Head"?

LTlineman75

I swiched from coated to clear G2's about a year ago...and i went to guitar center aiming to get some new CLEAR heads just for a change and the guy ended up sellin me coated EC2's...haha...which actually have a nice change of sound and thier kinda between coated and clear...its wierd you should check them out

HEVY KEVY

I have always played coated ambassadors, but I am checking out some pinstripes right now. I like them so far.

brandon8robinson

I think that the clear heads are better because they're echoey more. I know we all hate echo but you need echo or your set sounds dirt cheap. For a snare I have a coated head, standard, I love it. Great sounding toms clear.

Howepirate

brandon8robinson":2fryxost said:
I think that the clear heads are better because they're echoey more. I know we all hate echo but you need echo or your set sounds dirt cheap. For a snare I have a coated head, standard, I love it. Great sounding toms clear.

echoe is good as long as its well maintained and that is exactly what coated heads do they do not deaden the sound at all. but more focus it and make it much more manageable and warm

an amazing sound you'll love

i recommend remo coated emporer on toms and ambassador for snare

Eiren

Simple terms:

Clear heads give a better attack (i.e. more of a sharp THWACK). Coated heads give a deeper sound.

This of course is a generalisation.

Pinstripe heads give you another variation once again.

If you want to do a quick comparison, go to your local drum shop and get on a set of V-Drums. You can change the head types of the drums on there between the three types on the drum module, and it will give you an indication of the difference.