die cast vs. triple flanged

joejoeplaysdrums

yeah so i'm buying a custom kit from precision drum co. here in a few days and i'm jsut trying to nail down some specifics... mainly die cast rims or triple flanged. i'm going with 6 ply maple shells with 5 ply reinforcement rings and i'm not sure how much difference there is between die cast and triple flanged. i've only ever played on triple flanged but some people keep telling me to go die cast - but they're not drummers. anyone got any useful feedback on the subject? i just don't want to spend all the extra cash on die cast if it's not gonna make much of a difference.

xdoseonex

die cast rims are heavier, they will hold a tuning better, but in turn choke the drums resonance a bit, triple flange hoops will let the drum breathe more

xdoseonex

die cast rims are heavier, they will hold a tuning better, but in turn choke the drums resonance a bit, triple flange hoops will let the drum breathe more

dave lynch

I love my diecast hops on my Tama Starclassic Maple toms...They sing big time..I just picked up a Vinie paul Sig Snare with regular hoops and I must say that I like the crunch and rim sound for the snare better, but as far as my toms, I love the diecast..I am using 8, 10, 12, 14, 16 inch toms all rack maounted..!! You can see them here on my pics @ www.myspace.com/70275304

AmnestysLowEnd

Die cast is far supperior to triple flange. Triple flange is made from sheet metal and is bent into is shape. Die-cast is molten metal poured in to a "die" where it cools into its shape. Its alot stronger that triple flange do to this. I also think your sticks last long when useing die cast. Especially on snares, there are no sharp edges to hit your sticks on when doing rim shots!

Shalaq

I prefer flanged hoops because they have a better feeling, let the drum breathe and by themselves have a musical quality. And for the argument that they don't hold the tuning- if you have proper technique than even if you hit hard the drums won't detune more often than die casted hoops.