Die Cast Hoops

DrumsPlus

What are the advantages and disadvantages of die cast hoops? Should die cast hoops only be used on snares or would the work well on your other drums?

dammow

they can be used on toms too, tama starclassics and some gretsch kits have them as standard.

i think they just stronger and distribute the tension more evenly although i have heard that on toms they can choke or dampen the drum but i wouldnt have thought tama and gretsch would put them on if this was the case!

i think they look cool though!

Timekeep69

Due to their weight, they choke the resonance a little but they also keep the drum from going out of round and protect the shell (bearing edges) better than 2.3mm hoops but I think they are overkill on toms. Maybe if they were cheaper they'd be more feasable.

Rockula!

Timekeep69":2bt3elst said:
Due to their weight, they choke the resonance a little but they also keep the drum from going out of round and protect the shell (bearing edges) better than 2.3mm hoops but I think they are overkill on toms. Maybe if they were cheaper they'd be more feasable.
I cannot debate this point but I can tell you that I insist on die cast hoops for my batter side on my snares because I play mostly rimshots
Nothing like a big ole chunk of metal under that stick to give you a crack that will cut through concrete

I would think resonant heads would not require die cast and agree that toms would just be overkill

DrumsPlus

Rockula!":ln7a2hji said:
Timekeep69":ln7a2hji said:
I cannot debate this point but I can tell you that I insist on die cast hoops for my batter side on my snares because I play mostly rimshots
Nothing like a big ole chunk of metal under that stick to give you a crack that will cut through concrete

I would think resonant heads would not require die cast and agree that toms would just be overkill
The reason I ask is because I play a ton of rimshots but destroy sticks because of it. Is it going to be more punishing to my sticks and hands?

Rockula!

My experience says yes
Die casts tend to have a bit higher profile
My Hulk Snare has marching die cast and it has a very high profile indeed
I go through sticks a lot but I go through heads and cymbals too

xdoseonex

My gretsch renown maple has all diecast hoops. batter and resonant side. I want some blac ones for my snare but ned to find them at a decent price. I think they would be a litte better for when i hit my knicke on my snare because they are alot or rouded than a tripe flange

anavrinIV

i have them all around my kiit and have no complaints at all. the do make rimshots sound killer, and i dont think that they choke my toms at all.

drumur

They have to be tensioned in smaller increments the triple flange hoops.
a 1/4 turn can make a big difference with die cast. That's probably why people have problems with choking. It's because they can't be tuned the same way.
I have them on my masters.
Once each lug is a half turn, I raise them in fractions of a 1/4 turn or less. With triple flange I would use 1/4 or 1/2 turns

Alcyon

Can anyone recommend some good snares with diecast hoops? Or a place that sells 13 or 14" hoops?

anavrinIV

Alcyon":12q1797r said:
Can anyone recommend some good snares with diecast hoops? Or a place that sells 13 or 14" hoops?
amdrumparts.com, drummaker.com, drumfoundry.com

all of those sell all the parts necessary to make a drum. also check out jamminsam.com, he sells wraps, lugs, and rods but i dont know about hoops.