Dexterity

Locks

I have been playing drums for 2 years now and most of the time I've practiced working on my time and pocket, but I've found that the trouble I am having isn't time it is dexterity, having independence from my right hand my left hand and the kick.
Some of my friends told me to practice latin grooves but I dont know any.
Does anyon know any excersises to practice indpendence of the limbs.

Flatliner

Books like Syncopation, Advance Techniques for the Modern drummer others are out there, if you have a good drum shop in your town you should be able to ask them and they should be able to help you out. If you have Thomas Lang's new DVD "Creative Cordination" pretty much the entire second DVD deals with that issue.

JSdrmr

Try Humbuerto Morales "How to Play Latin Amerian Rhythm Instruments" book. Use the timbale/cowbell/foot figues BUT switch it to ride/snare/bass drum. The grooves are authentic and sound really cool with the snare in the 'off' position PLUS they work wonders for independence and dexterity. Good luck!!!!

drummert2k

im guessing the reason they told you to play latin grooves is because theres a lot of interplay between your hands and feet. . as far as independance goes, if you're just beginning with working the independance, stay away from trying to play along to a latin chart. it will just frustrate you to no end. you gotta work this slow. no magic trick to wake up and have great independance. play beats with 8th notes on the hats, and then switch to quarter notes, then to triplets. and do the same with your feft hand. start diving into ghost notes. get that left hand doing more than just a full stroke back beat. and mess with putting the ick in odd places. and use your hats with your foot on the 2's and 4's, and then straight quarters, and then 8th notes. switch it up. and another thing i'd recommened to anyone whos beginning, get a teacher. it sounds like you're still in the fundimental stages of drumming which means you dont have a big ol bucket full of bad habits yet. have someone instruct you and help you and listen and watch you to catch the little things you might miss or dont even know about. they can help you build your foundation so can take it as far as you push yourself to.

JSdrmr

yeah, the Latin stuff can be fustrating and complicated....try also Dave Weckyl's "Exercises For Natural Playing" book. It has very simple, yet effective exercises for both hands and feet.

Gaddabout

I'm with drummert2k here. It sounds like you need to just learn to get around the kit. There's a book called 4-way independence by Marvin Dahlgren that someone hipped me to a couple of weeks ago. It's pretty good for helping you work out your limbs if you've never done that type of stuff before. I would say it's challenging, but it doesn't have to be.