detunning bass drum

Gazdkw82§

ok iv just purchased a new yamaha maple custom (see show us your kit). however im struggling with my bass drum lugs falling out of tune.

i have the batter head quite slack (1/2 turn past finger tight) but whenever i get it the drum out the case for a show the lugs seem to have slipped so much they are rattling loose. i have the T bar lugs if that helps

drummert2k

that is really loose for a kick batter head. tighten that baby up. it will help with the tension rods slipping. if its the low deep boom your going for, get the tuning out of the front head. but tighten up that batter a bit so tension rods dont fall out and get lost.

markmywords

In transit they could probably spin with the weight of the t-bar handles and the looseness of tension but also heads expand and contract sometimes with climate change or just playing they tend to get looser, they are petroleum products, I've found that keeping a good tension on the bass drum and storing them in good cases during transit keeps this from happening, also you may want to invest in regular lugs from your local music store, make sure to get the right length for your claw/rim design.

Gazdkw82§

answer to both answers - its a 20" kick so its tuned real slack for thar nice attack/punch sound. i actually like the t bar lugs they are very handy live :)

drummert2k

with a 20 inch drum you should still tighten up the head more than just a half turn past finger tight. a slack batter head will actually make the attack more "mushy" if you want attack and punch stick a small blanket or small pillow up just touching the batter head. i have a 20 inch kick on my one kit and a small towl folded up touching the batter and medium head tension does the trick.

Gazdkw82§

drummert2k":1idan9sh said:
with a 20 inch drum you should still tighten up the head more than just a half turn past finger tight. a slack batter head will actually make the attack more "mushy" if you want attack and punch stick a small blanket or small pillow up just touching the batter head. i have a 20 inch kick on my one kit and a small towl folded up touching the batter and medium head tension does the trick.
how tight would you recommend?

drummert2k

i have mine so when you push the center it has some give but its not tight. maybe a quater inch to half inch of flex. i also have an Emad batter on it which helps with the "boom" factor. with a good tuning of the batter and reso, something just touching the batter head (i perfer touching a little of the batter and also touching the reso just to kill some over tones) and felt beaters you should be able to get a nice thump.

Gazdkw82§

drummert2k":304w4dcj said:
i have mine so when you push the center it has some give but its not tight. maybe a quater inch to half inch of flex. i also have an Emad batter on it which helps with the "boom" factor. with a good tuning of the batter and reso, something just touching the batter head (i perfer touching a little of the batter and also touching the reso just to kill some over tones) and felt beaters you should be able to get a nice thump.
well i have a emad on the batter and a pillow in there ill tighten it up a little. if the lugs still continue to slip any more ideas?

drummert2k

if the lugs slip then like "markmywords" stated, there are products designed to help keep lugs from slipping. i like to personally stay away from stuff like that just because having a lug nut strip or having tension rods get locked up because of something in there is a real pain.