Decrease in skill.

I've been playing drums for almost 14 years now, and lately I've been kind of off with my playing. Things like I'm not as fast now as I was like 5 months ago, with my hands and double bass, if anyone knows any way that i could get my groove back, please let me know.

devilspain

dude dont play for a couple of weeks and do something else. when you come back to play you'll have missed it so much you'll play spot on after a quick warm up. works for me. i dunno i find i play loads better after having a break.

other things that help me get back on game.

1. buy a new drum part, cymbal, tom, shaker, bell, snare, etc, go wth different drum heads. this usually inspires me to play.

2. go see a local band or band of that matter more inspiration.

3. change your set up.

4. find out something you can't do and learn it. try a hard polyrhythm and try to incorporate in your playing. (fun to add to songs in my band it really throws them and they give me strange looks. very amusing ^^.

5. see other comments. good luck

Howepirate

i'd say give yourself a rest if your constantly playing for say everyday and all the time you can be overworking yourself take a few days break and if that doesnt work try and watch other peoples soloing and playing like on youtube.com which has a lot of pros and whatnot on there anything from dave weckl to that kid down the street whos 14 and plays garbage so you have a selection

Shalaq

I'd say learn something new. Be it a new rudiment, coordination exercises, double pedal maybe? Maybe learn the free stroke or heel-toe with the feet :)
Maybe listen to other genres of music? It took me from rock to metal to electronics to nu-jazz to drum&bass to funk to jazz and now I slowly work on the clave coordination with my feet(for examle I play the clave with my hihat foot and agogo samba pattern with my hands on the bells of cymbals, or a tambourine samba pattern PlPlPPlPlPlPlPPl)
Just look on your drumset from a different perspective and you'll find inspiration to play.

Dale

floydistheman789":1vs10r6u said:
I've been playing drums for almost 14 years now, and lately I've been kind of off with my playing. Things like I'm not as fast now as I was like 5 months ago, with my hands and double bass, if anyone knows any way that i could get my groove back, please let me know.
My advice is to find a good teacher. Get someone who really knows his business to evaluate you and build a lesson plan around it.

E dog

ok well this has been happening to me, and my advice is to watch other drummers as much as you can. maby get a new beat idea or a fill or whatever

Tab

Or.......... I like to switch my setup from right handed, to left handed...

try playing completley backwards.....it feels like your learning how to play, all over again : ) Its very rewarding I must say...

I wouldnt say to stop playing for awhile, but to focus on stickiholding and conditioning of your muscles....... we drummers form and create muscles that people dont even know about..... take special care in this,... yes playing like an animal every night is not really healthy..... but we drummers are all familiar with this statement...... PACE yourself lol : D

drumgroovy

I don't know about you, but after a short break, I find myself playing better, because it's like I miss doing it, so when I finally get to do it again, it's better.

It's like meeting up with someone you miss so much after a hiatus... same feeling.

Warrdogg

I've been playing for 25 years and deffinetly know what your talking about. Age can slow you down if you let it. Before you start playing just stretch for 10 or 15 minutes. Try playing different things, off times, changing up fills, trying odd combinations for fills. Buy some cd's you've been wanting to get, listening to other drummers and their styles can help out alot. If you play double bass try playing single footed for a couple of weeks, or if you play single pedal try getting into double bass.

SmellsLikeIan

It could be something as simple as a piece of equipment getting adjusted (throne getting lower, tom arm moving, etc) without you knowing it while you were moving your kit. I remember an interview in MD with Dave Lombardo from Slayer where he started having problems with double bass (yeah, I know....DAVE having double bass problems?) He said he finally realized that his tech had put his throne lower and he moved it back the way it used to be and.....voila!