Death Metal Drumming (all should post in this thread)!

Death Metal Drummers are...

• A. Mindless idiots that bash drums fast

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • B. Normal dudes who just play a different genre

• C. Morons that dont know what is good

• D. Spirited musicians that play aggresively because they happen to like an aggressive style

• Total voters

Howepirate

Ok so i am currently baffled at the consensus that death metal drummers have no "feel" no "time" and all they do is bash their drums really fast almost like they dont have a heart and soul like everyone else.

What is your guys' take on this subject because i see a lot of people hating on death metal drummers. Personally i believe the people that share this consensus are pompous pricks who think their genre is somewhat better than a death metal dude.

So send me some replies... i want a good clean discussion so dont you dare pick on DM drummers without a good reason to!

drumsforlife

I like drumming of all sorts! Just because it's fast doesn't mean it's "just banging." It's definately in time and rhythmical. It's just a different kind of playing. So what if a lot of what you hear is BS about death metal drumming. It takes a lot of skill and endurance to keep up that energy through an entire show. So first of all, you have my respect. I must say though, that I've tried it, and it doesn't work for me. I stick to the lighter side of rock or metal. I don't even own a double pedal. So the next time somebody gives you flack, just tell them to play with that aggressiveness and energy for a two or three hour set and see what their arms and legs feel like. Drum on dude! Be proud of the music you love to make!

Timekeep69

It depends on the type of death metal.

Bands like Cannibal Corpse and Deicide, I don't care for but bands like Arch Enemy and Children of Bodom I like.

seandude

just cause its not jazz dosnt mean its sucks..yo try playing the double bass for like 10 mineuts live

BillRayDrums

Not my style but I can appreciate it. I have an old student that has taken death metal drumming to pretty far extremes. KC Howard of Odius Mortem/Decrepit Birth. He's really gone off the charts as far as I can tell.....and best of all, no matter how fast he flies, he grooves his ass off

http://myspace.com/colonelkrunk

PatternsInTheIvy

Timekeep69":4i4f24gb said:
It depends on the type of death metal.

Bands like Cannibal Corpse and Deicide, I don't care for but bands like Arch Enemy and Children of Bodom I like.
Cannibal Corpse and Deicide are death metal, and Arch Enemy and Children of Bodom aren't :wink: But it doesn't really matter, listen to what you like.

In addition to the subject, I think they should be respected much more than they are. I myself don't like too much death metal past Chimaira and The Black Dahlia Murder, but I still respect CC. All hail CC!

anavrinIV

the thing i dont like about it is that a lot of it sounds the same, especially when they get into blast beats that dont stop. to me, blast beats are not musical and whould be used only a really whort, agressive piece, not constantly. thats a lot of what kills ir for me.

matt

blast beats are one of those things that are very akward. it pisses me off when emo bands try to do blast. you should try to listen to the bezerker. no1 plays faster than that drummer he's insane. death metal drumming isnt really supposed to be technical, unless your bands like the faceless. listen to older cattle decapitation. its just blast beats but it goes with everything else perfectly. and its not banging ur drums around whoever said that is stupid and knows nothing about death metal.

Howepirate

Thanks for the awesome replies guys. I can tell this forum isn't a bunch of uneducated monkeys like other forums i've seen.

As for me i like bands like As Blood Runs Black, Aborted, All Shall Perish, The Black Dahlia Murder, Extremely old Underoath (dallas), Through the Eyes of the Dead, etc.

To me thats good music. It brings out a certain side of me.

Of course i like bands like Porcupine Tree, A Perfect Circle, Angels and Airwaves.etc.

idk i just hate it when people discriminate such as...

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/for ... ?t=1618454

Kaos

death metal is the new jazz if you listen to good death metal drummers they use a ton of jazz techniques. anyone who says its just bangging around Is a compleat idiot and have never taken the time to really listen to some good bands as with all styles and genras of music they are good or great drummers and then you have your Meg Whites........
All the death metal drummers I know are just regular dudes that enjoy what they play

WhiteOleander

D 8)
there are some really good drummers who just prefer to play an agressive style.. then again there ARE some dudes who really just bash the closest thing to them over and over as fast as he can, and calls it music..

iatemygoat

Kaos":1h7yvwsu said:
death metal is the new jazz if you listen to good death metal drummers they use a ton of jazz techniques. anyone who says its just bangging around Is a compleat idiot and have never taken the time to really listen to some good bands as with all styles and genras of music they are good or great drummers and then you have your Meg Whites........
All the death metal drummers I know are just regular dudes that enjoy what they play
Into the Moat=Jazzy Deathmetal

ViciousCircle5

I personally just can't stand listening to death metal. I am not bashing it. I respect the drummers who enjoy that style and I know they are very talented. I just simply can't get into listening to it, let alone playing it. And I have foudn that people that losten to death metal can be just as judgmental towards other genres and styles. So it's not just a shit fest upon one genre. I've met a lot of pretentious death metal-heads.

I guess listenability is key for me. I have grown to love melody more and more as the years have progressed, and to me, when I listen to death metal, the melody is simply not there.

A lot of good DM drummers out there though.

DrumFiend0206

I love a lot of death metal, and Derek Roddy is one of my favorite drummers. I love his speed and aggression, and just his all around musicality. It's amazing how some drummers can count off insane time signatures in their head, and keep perfect time. It's just crazy.

Howepirate

ViciousCircle5":pp89gmsx said:
I personally just can't stand listening to death metal. I am not bashing it. I respect the drummers who enjoy that style and I know they are very talented. I just simply can't get into listening to it, let alone playing it. And I have foudn that people that losten to death metal can be just as judgmental towards other genres and styles. So it's not just a shit fest upon one genre. I've met a lot of pretentious death metal-heads.

I guess listenability is key for me. I have grown to love melody more and more as the years have progressed, and to me, when I listen to death metal, the melody is simply not there.

A lot of good DM drummers out there though.
Try black metal??

disrupt13

let me point out "death metal" isnt the only genre who uses blasts, hell i seen a vid of Buddy Rich doing it, Yea, i could see the "cookie monster vocals" could get annoying, but thats a close minded thing, if your a musician you will explore all styles, i hate rap, but i like to learn those drum machine beats. DM has some way talented drummers, some can only blast some can groove,

Dying Fetus is groove DM metal band

Piddywiffle

Death metal drumming is fast and VERY sporadic.

As an avid Metal listener I gotta say that death metal drumming can only be taken in by me in doses. I couldn't listen to it all day, but I sure as hell listen to it some parts of the day.

Sometimes tho, even with experienced drummers, the speed and technical fills dont really mix. So it just sounds like clicking mush. And and much as I do enjoy a fast as hell blast beat, I still feel that sometimes it needs to be toned down. Well, what I mean is.... Everyonce in awhile during a DM lick everything will slow down and everyone clicks for this killer, mosh pit, head banging, hard as hell rift. But 4 counts later its gone and the listener is left in the dust by the pounding 220 BPM freight train.

It would seem that the extreme metal enthusiests have taken it beyond what it orginally was by miles. But to me it's not about gunning out as many hits/notes as possible for everything you do. And trust me I know thats not JUST what you do. There is a lot more involved then just speed. I'm just pointing out what eventually will unhinge me from my death metal listening for the day.

Oh and as for the original topic if Death Metal drummers can keep time? Dude/dudettes.... Simply and unwaveringly Yes. Probably some of the best time keepers in drumming... PERIOD.

And thats my 2-cent. I doubt anyone read all of that but if they did I appreciate it.

Cheers