Ddrum vs. DW

Spydr2000

I would put my Ddrum dominions up against any DW kit any day!! Just to prove it's not about price and craftsmanship. And I was a DW user.

Hack_and_Slash

Spydr2000":2eskfq98 said:
I would put my Ddrum dominions up against any DW kit any day!! Just to prove it's not about price and craftsmanship. And I was a DW user.
Man I need to try Ddrum. I never saw one in a store though.

Rob the Drummer

You know DW is the best, that's why they are the drums that everyone is trying to put down and compare everything to. I really wanna hear a set of DDrums though.

scotttyrcha

:D I'll agree, There's no comparison when it comes to price! The DW kits are nice, but you're paying for the name. Compared to my Ddrum Dominion Maples, I'll take the Ddrums over the Dw's anyday! The Ddrums custom shop line is the sh*t!

Just my .2cents

ZaQ[MTG]

I AGREE!!!!

have the dominion poket maple in snow white...this shit is br00tal you cant mess with the 20x20 kick!!!!!!

DDRUM all the way!!!

ZaQ

goatatl

I personally don't own either, but I've heard some people who have had issues with the DDrum bearing edges. Anyone else familiar with \ heard about this? I've been seriously considering purchasing one of their 7X13 Snares.

dwtoast72

I saw this topic,.......... and first thought I had was that this one is gonna start a big dispute/argument that'll never end...
On that note, I'll go ahead and say that I haven't seen or heard anything yet (particularly mapex, hehe) that stands up to DW... But, I will be seeking out DDrum for a competetive evaluation... I think they're being sold in Nurnberg, GE. When I get back, I'll check them out. Till then, considering DWs fine reputation for produce the better sounding drum, I will stand my ground!

Nattysoul

I purchased a DDrum Diablo Camo 5 piece for 600 bucks and I love it, I read a review of the same kit online somewhere(cant remember) it wasn't great but I figured out he didn't use the right heads for my Kick I use an Aquarian Regulator resonant and a Super Kick 3 for the snare Attack 2 ply medium coated and for the toms attack 2 ply medium clear on top and 1 ply medium on the bottoms kit sounds super fat ....Ive heard and played on DW and I was never impressed enough to spend the amount of money they ask for. My next kit will be a dominion ash pocket!!!!!!

MikeDdrummer

Okay, first things first... to the guy who said "lets ask Josh Freese"... c'mon man... Josh has been with DW for his entire career, and is a PAID endorser... what do you think he's gonna say about DW? It really doesn't mean shit, Josh could play any high end kit and sound great. So who cares?
As for Ddrum, I have an endorsement deal with them, I have two kits (an ash and a maple) and a few more snares. They make a great product, that I can assure you, but as you'll point out, I'm a bit biased.
The simple fact is, both companys make great gear, as do quite a few others. Great gear doesn't mean great sound. Tuning, heads, the room, and a million other things (least of all the drummer) contribute to the sound you hear, not the price of the damn things.
Like I said, a good player will be a good player no matter what gear he's on. And that's that!

anavrinIV

Nattysoul":3edpo746 said:
I purchased a DDrum Diablo Camo 5 piece for 600 bucks and I love it, I read a review of the same kit online somewhere(cant remember) it wasn't great but I figured out he didn't use the right heads for my Kick I use an Aquarian Regulator resonant and a Super Kick 3 for the snare Attack 2 ply medium coated and for the toms attack 2 ply medium clear on top and 1 ply medium on the bottoms kit sounds super fat ....Ive heard and played on DW and I was never impressed enough to spend the amount of money they ask for. My next kit will be a dominion ash pocket!!!!!!
i played one of those sets and, even with a good tuning, it was as dead as could be...that set had the resonance of a pillow-filled bass (toms included).

i havent played any high end ddrums yet but id really like to. ive played dws...they were good but for the money i could find other sets id be happier with. were they bad? not in the least, but i dont think theyre the best out there.

brutalsouth

the only thing dw did for me was empty my wallet. i play on the Dominion Ash 8pc, best set ive ever set on aside from the Spaun kit im savin up for. Ddrum takes DW hands down.

SGarrett

MikeDdrummer":2yrqcmmz said:
Okay, first things first... to the guy who said "lets ask Josh Freese"... c'mon man... Josh has been with DW for his entire career, and is a PAID endorser... what do you think he's gonna say about DW? It really doesn't mean shit, Josh could play any high end kit and sound great. So who cares?
As for Ddrum, I have an endorsement deal with them, I have two kits (an ash and a maple) and a few more snares. They make a great product, that I can assure you, but as you'll point out, I'm a bit biased.
The simple fact is, both companys make great gear, as do quite a few others. Great gear doesn't mean great sound. Tuning, heads, the room, and a million other things (least of all the drummer) contribute to the sound you hear, not the price of the damn things.
Like I said, a good player will be a good player no matter what gear he's on. And that's that!
Hahaha. Your last sentence was my point, dude. The player matters far more than the kit. :)

Personally, I think people worry way too much about labels. The only thing that matters to me is if the kit inspires me to play. I like both DW and Pearl Masters for exactly that reason. If Mapex, DDrum, Tama, GMS, OCDP, etc. do it for. Right on.

drumsforlife

I've played on a ddrum before. And I agree with an earlier statement that even with tuning, the toms and bass sounded dead. NO TONE! WTF

Not going for either one, but if I had a choice, I'd choose the DW over ddrum hands down. I want my drums to sing. Not sound dead as a doornail.

DrummerByron

anavrinIV":17e4ypeu said:
Nattysoul":17e4ypeu said:
i played one of those sets and, even with a good tuning, it was as dead as could be...that set had the resonance of a pillow-filled bass (toms included).

i havent played any high end ddrums yet but id really like to. ive played dws...they were good but for the money i could find other sets id be happier with. were they bad? not in the least, but i dont think theyre the best out there.
Here is my 2 cents: I heard a rumor that the Diablo kits were just the DDrums bottom of the line woods and were repainted to look cool and they were marketed twards the punk players. Thus the $600 price tag for what equates to a crap kit. If you got yours to sond great more power to you. I have never played on DDrums before, but Shawn Drover of Megadeth now plays on DDRums and the DD logo is featured prominatly in their new video A Tout le Moan (Set me free) on his kick heads. So he switched from Pearl to DDrums.
As far as DWs are concerned they are the current industry standard and they did not get there by being a crappy brand. Their hardware is second to none and their kick pedals also dominate the market. If I did not love my Ludwigs so much I would be saving up for a DW.