David Garibaldi

BillRayDrums

I went through "Future Sounds" and "The Funky Beat" religiously. FS really opened my ears up to new things, as the book presents to you the concept of permutation e.g. pushing a phrase forward by 1/16th intervals. So, in a bar of 4/4 there are 15 exercises; the "root" and from there each example is written with the "one" being a different part of the phrase. Kinda like this- imagine a clock, 12 noon is Top Dead Center (TDC). FS is like saying "ok, I'm gonna set "1 o'clock" as TDC. Or "I'm gonna make 5:00 TDC."

Then "The Funky Beat" has great playalong tracks+charts.

break the prism

he's truly one of the greatest. if you like him check out Harvey Mason (from Herbie Hancock's Headhunters).
he pretty much invented funk drumming as we know it today.

rufus4dagruv

break the prism":3qpyulaj said:
he's truly one of the greatest. if you like him check out Harvey Mason (from Herbie Hancock's Headhunters).
he pretty much invented funk drumming as we know it today.
DG is outstanding, no question. I saw Harvey Mason in concert once....truly a monster.

rlrrll

I sat 6 inches in front of his bass drum once at MI. He sit's down and says "When I practice, I play this". He played paradiddles between the HiHAt and Snare and moved the accents around the kit at a slow, even tempo. In 10 seconds he totally demystified his style in a way that eveybody in the room understood.

A great teacher.

dave lynch

Soo Funny cuz I was gonna post him on this site. but I'm to late..No matter tho cuz he made it here...I love his linear beats..I use that method for so many fills..And yeah he bases rythyms so much on paradiddles..Great drummer..!!

screamkevin

If you haven't heard it yet, and you want to hear Garibaldi at his best live, check out Tower Of Power's "Soul Vaccination: Live" album. Good GOD, that man is awesome. One of my heroes.

break the prism

screamkevin":3k3etbao said:
If you haven't heard it yet, and you want to hear Garibaldi at his best live, check out Tower Of Power's "Soul Vaccination: Live" album. Good GOD, that man is awesome. One of my heroes.
that's the one live album that i won't leave my house without

mortem

break the prism":1h0p0aso said:
screamkevin":1h0p0aso said:
that's the one live album that i won't leave my house without
seconded!!! pure juice 8)