DANNY CAREY

astev13

i'm hearing that people actually think that danny carey is a better drummer than mike portnoy ??? are you serious??? and for all the carey fans out there lemme know what songs he made that are "Soooo goooD"

Howepirate

astev13":3sly9j03 said:
i'm hearing that people actually think that danny carey is a better drummer than mike portnoy ??? are you serious??? and for all the carey fans out there lemme know what songs he made that are "Soooo goooD"
The fact that danny carey isn't a showboating moron with a giant kit that makes no sense and plays in his music and not into the eons does it for me

stevo

i think danny is one of the best mainstream drummers at the moment, and while portnoy is on that list too, danny actually puts emotion into his drumming. and plus, i like his style alot better.

astev13

well not true, because mike portnoy personally said in an interview that only reason he has that many drums and stuff is because he likes to have a huge variety when he plays..its not about showboating but more being musical with different sounds and effects....which i totally agree with......and listen to liquid tension experiment, in that project portnoy uses a smaller set than carey and i think the drumming in that is way better than any tool album i ever herd

astev13

not to say tool sux..but give credit to where credit is due ..... to me portnoy is WAY more musical both in theory and composition

KeefAlmighty

Portnoy is overrated imo. But thats just my opinion.
Its not that he's a bad drummer, he's tight at what he does I just find the whole thing tedious.

SGarrett

Carey is better than Portnoy. Carey mixes a lot of world music and don't forget that Maynard has had almost absolute control over the drum tracks on Tool albums so if that's your basis of comparison, it's a little off.

dahlgrendrummer

Portnoy is WAY too mechanical, he's really good, fast and proficient, but has no feel when he plays. Danny Carey does what 3-4 drummers do separately for most bands, and with FEEL, so he wins hands down.

ScandalProof

dahlgrendrummer":3q4fcqwg said:
Danny Carey does what 3-4 drummers do separately for most bands, and with FEEL,
I couldn't agree more, He goes beyond the realm of a "drummer" or "percussionist". If you take the time to disect what he does, that is really listen and pay attention I find he has a real strong influence of not just drummers and technique but the roots of music. Look through the history of man and music and you'll find that Danny Carey derives a lot of style and technique based of some of the most raw, indigenous, and ancestral forms of music.

I'm not saying he's any better than Portnoy because it's hard for me to say someone is better than another, but Carey makes you feel the music and to me that's vastly more important than any technical aspect of a percussionist

Mr. Rocco

I think they are both very good drummers so to get all uptight about so and so is WAY better than so and so is just silly.
You have a preference? Good for you. I'm sick about reading (not here) Peart is better than Bonzo, Bonzo is better than Steve Smith. If you know there name, they must have done somthing right. btw I do like Carey. IMO, he brings a breathe of fresh air to drumming that wasn't there before. Hes fluid and busy without getting in the way. An excellent example of a great drummer that plays for the song and not just to be heard.

break the prism

i think that portnoy is great, but i think he puts too much of his chops in every song he plays. danny can probably do everything that portnoy can, and vice versa (with the exeption of danny's skills on the tabla drums).
for the most part, danny shows a lot more feel and a lot more reserve in my opinion.
both drummers are skilled at playing with polyrhythms and odd sigs, but danny, to me, demonstrates a more keen ability to make a simple time signature interesting (for instance, the bulk of the album Aenima is either in 4/4, 6/8, or derivatives of those meters), but that album features some of danny's most articulate work.

BillRayDrums

Danny Carey played with Carole King for a while before he was in Tool. To me, that shows the ability to back off & listen to what's going on around you. I don't know too much about Portnoy so I can't say anything negative.

Regarding the comment "(the)only reason he has that many drums and stuff is because he likes to have a huge variety when he plays." There's TONS of variety at your fingertips, even if you are using a tiny little basic kit. Learn to use those variants before thinking that a ginormous drumset is your only creative answer.

SGarrett

BillRayDrums":5b3pijki said:
Danny Carey played with Carole King for a while before he was in Tool. To me, that shows the ability to back off & listen to what's going on around you. I don't know too much about Portnoy so I can't say anything negative.

Regarding the comment "(the)only reason he has that many drums and stuff is because he likes to have a huge variety when he plays." There's TONS of variety at your fingertips, even if you are using a tiny little basic kit. Learn to use those variants before thinking that a ginormous drumset is your only creative answer.
So many different sounds you can get out of one drum depending on where and how you hit it.

SINISTER

I'm sick of hearing about danny carey and joey jordison.....we should put them both on an iceberg and let it float into the ocean.........done deal!

Howepirate

SINISTER":2metn971 said:
I'm sick of hearing about danny carey and joey jordison.....we should put them both on an iceberg and let it float into the ocean.........done deal!
Who on this forum talks about jordison?

Jordison<meg white :lol:

break the prism

danny carey and joey jordison are completely different breeds.
same with carey and portnoy. there are not enough similarities between the two to accurately state who is better. i say we stop worrying.

keep in mind, fusion greats like lenny white and billy cobham really admire both carey and portnoy. they've got to be doing something right.

astev13

Howepirate":2t4axrc7 said:
SINISTER":2t4axrc7 said:
Who on this forum talks about jordison?

Jordison<meg white :lol:
lmaoooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ha ha

xdoseonex

jordinson can go on the iceberg, danney carrey is fuckin sick. i'd definately say hes better than portnoy.

"I get this stuff for free, so i try to encorperate as many sounds into my kit as possible" - Mike Portnoy

I kinda feel like, from a musical standpoint there something a bit funny with that statement

Howepirate

xdoseonex":303m5ggu said:
"I get this stuff for free, so i try to encorperate as many sounds into my kit as possible" - Mike Portnoy
Dammit dose ... your a pain in my ass ... stealing my thoughts and making them sound how i wish they would come out lmao. Yeah your totally right im gonna have to use that one from now on.

Seriously though i just ... tape on the drums ... overly hard hitting ... throwing your sticks and wacking yourself in the head when you think your flying, playing the overused iron cobra double kick pedal (or 2 or 3 singles or whatever he uses on that stupid Siamese kit of his) doesn't do to much for me.