Damping the toms?

devilspain

just wondering do you guys damping your drums with e rings, o rings, moongel, masking tape sellotape. /?? whats your view?

pphunk

personally i think if you have to dampen your toms, put tape on your cymbals or a pillow in your bass drum, you're using the wrong equipment. Of course not everyone has the money to buy the drums that sound best to their ears, so some sort of dampening/control is needed. Before i got my new snare i would use an o-ring to control the sound. Back when i had my old Tama Rockstar ('97) i would use kleenex and duct tape on my toms and cut up newspaper in my bass drum. I would never ever think of touching my cymbals with any kind of tape or dampening material. Just the thought of it makes me cringe.

Johnny Cat

I use E rings just to cut down on the higher over tones when I want to dampen my toms rather than play them wide open.

But I found with the more I practiced tuning the less I wanted to dampen them.

Dale

I haven't had to dampen toms in God knows how long. Very rarely would I have to dampen the snare. If I did have to dampen the snare it is with a tiny amount of gaffa tape over a small piece of folded tissue paper.

Will

I despise using gaffer on my drums.

I used to use G2s on my kit but now have EC2s which do a great job, I recommend them.

Will

Real wood, so of course you want them to sing, because they can! :D

I find that most people I know who want to dampen their toms have very nasty cheap kits. i.e me bout 3 years ago

When I got my current kit I learned to appreciaute the qualities of the actual drums and learned how to tune properly hence no need for gaffer tape or dust cloths taped to the underside of the skins :roll:

So basically I'd recommend the guy to either buy a kit with the sound qualities he wants, or change his skin selection.

Qbs

Will: when I say mahoganny I don't mean the expensive african one but the cheap phillipinese mahoganny in my 14x14" and I believe that the same mahoganny is in my 20x16 birch/mahoganny kick drum.
Anyway, I believe that any drum can be tuned that it'll sing it's just a matter of head choice and tuning.

Will

I know you were, I have an Export and it sounds a hell of a lot better than my friends Masters and my other friends Genista

But have you ever tried to make the lowest level kits sound good?

You'll be disapointed even if you did a hell of a job because they dont have the build quality of better drums.

Mahogany is a real wood, MDF isnt!

Qbs

well many people consider my 14x14" to be the lowest level drum possible (Pearl Forum) :) I've been trying to get a Mapex Q (basswood made) to sound decent and well... I wasn't satisfied but the owner was :)

Dale

mapexdrummer":2rtzfgqd said:
its all in the tuning fellas :D
Not really. Sometimes we're at the mercy of the respective talents, or lack thereof, of soundmen.

In an ideal world we'd never have to dampen anything. But of course it also depends on the sound you want. I've often thrown a towel over a drum if that was the sound I wanted for a particular song.

Will

Well yeh it's just personal preference on the sound that a drum makes whether its nice or not

Pearl Forum is definatley not the lowest level drum possible! No offense to those people but they need to do some research if they think that lol!

Shalaq

I think the right choice of heads and sizes is the key. Bohnam had 14 16 18 toms and he didn't dampen them. He just had the right heads and tuned them well. Also I believe the shallower the kick drums, the less you have to dampen them.

Scott_Hurford

i use moongels, no tape is touching my drumheads! moongels work better than most other ways of muffling i find, and moongels dont leave any sticky stuff all over your heads.

devilspain

at the moment i dont use anything but when im recording i like the attack sound of toms with a little resonance.