Dampening rings and gels are worthless

HyperKNc

I have always always ALWAYS used window weather stripping for my drums. They sound just as good, and you save a bundle.

Howepirate

HyperKNc":3i3vfo12 said:
I have always always ALWAYS used window weather stripping for my drums. They sound just as good, and you save a bundle.
how bout 2 ply heads...and learning how to tune a drum

drummert2k

lol, true. although some live situations having the option of throwing on a koongel quick does help you sound better when you have a worthless sound guy.

but yeah, if you know how to choose heads for the sound you want and have a concept of tuning you dont need weather stripping which is pretty much there until you physicaly rip it off.

atleast with rings and pads you can only use them if you HAVE to

brandon8robinson

How about you assholes give a goodreply for once other than saying "lol learn to tune a drum noob"

Drummer2k you reply to every post god get off the computer for once

I have dampening rings, they do an OK job but the gels piss me off, they make cymbals sound so bad

Howepirate

brandon8robinson":1uelsm6s said:
How about you assholes give a goodreply for once other than saying "lol learn to tune a drum noob"

I have dampening rings, they do an OK job but the gels piss me off, they make cymbals sound so bad
Dude all im saying is it sounds like ballsack when your drums sound like plastic tubs and have no resonance....and besides theres nothing wrong with being a noob....but there is something wrong with being an arrogant noob who doesnt listen to their peers

screamkevin

Um, dude, back the f*** off Tim. He's a hell of a drummer, and he's got a lot of knowledge. That's what we're here for, is to share our tips and tricks. You suggested weatherstripping. That's something that I never thought of. Don't know if I'd do it, but I never thought of it. Tim is just sharing some of his tips and advice. I've learned a lot from him, and even disagreed with him a time or two.

Don't be a f*** dick. Take a f*** vicodin or something and go apply weatherstripping to your drums. Christ.

drummert2k

brandon8robinson":1183ypv5 said:

wow, i must have hit a tender spot on this one. haha. you gotta take it easy dude. if you're gonna get fired up about every post i make then you have about 350 to catch up on.

i was simply saying weather strip is a pretty permanent solution for a problem that can vary from venue to venue and sound guy to sound guy. when i need to deaden some overtones i personally use moongel because sometimes rings tend to buzz unless you can keep them in really good condition. but i use them very rarely.

you use gel pads on cymbals? i could say the obvious here but i wont for the sake of lighting the fuse on your tampon again.

brandon8robinson

Yeah Drummer I apologize, I made a post and the only replies I got was "Learn how to tune" and I was specifically asking for opinions on a product that I'm buying.

After that post I was this one and I saw the same things and he was specifically asking for a product tune related

With all due respect.

Rockula!

HyperKNc":10dwrgts said:
That stuff reminds me of a product called "deadringers" that was pretty much a circular ring of weatherstriping
Amazing how much a lot of drum accessories are just variations on what you can find at a hardware store

NOOB!!!!!

screamkevin

That stuff reminds me of a product called "deadringers" that was pretty much a circular ring of weatherstriping
Amazing how much a lot of drum accessories are just variations on what you can find at a hardware store
So are the Remo Muffl's, except they include the plastic ring holder. I use one on my kicks, and it's the only Remo product I swear by.

Scott_Hurford

scrubs":zlcbsg2y said:
screamkevin":zlcbsg2y said:
I will. Gels on cymbals is retarded.
Now you've offended the retards. :roll:
gels on cymbals is kinda retarded, they just dont go together!
cymbals should never be restricted by using tape, gels etc... they cant live up to their full potential with tht crap on them.

The Duster

there are situations where I have had to tape napkins/kleenex/(unused)toilet paper to my cymbals as well as drums. ... it may not be the "true" sound of the cymbal, but when you're playing loudass rock music in a small-ass solid cement club, you're not going to get the "true" sound anyway. the dampening will make up for the extra shimmer reverberating off the walls, and people will be able to hear the music more clearly.

it may not look "cool," but you'll look like even more of a douche bag if you're making the audience's ears bleed by bashing like you're playing on Ozzfest.

also, try using smaller sticks or rods for these types of shows

whatever the situation calls for, that's what you should do 8)

Stimpy

right first thing...moongels on cymbals is retarded. i use moongels on my toms when i play at home and i think they make them sound alot better, although! i take them off for gigs because it makes them sound dead when played with bass and guitar etc

also i never Ever put duct take on my skins.

drummert2k

what i've noticed a lot of drummers doing is tuning their kit to what sounds good to them when they're behind it playing it. or even have someone else play their kit and stand like 10 feet away from it with no other instruments playing. moon gels and dampening pads are great things but shouldnt be used to "deaden" the drum. only to get rid of overtones as needed. if you have a show and the tom just has tooo much ring to it through the PA while playing with the group, then throw something on it. but a little ring and overtones give the drum fullness and help cut through the mix and after gated on a board make the drum sound great pumped through the speakers.

moon gel on cymbals is pointless. might as well just use a trash can lid. its a lot cheaper.

and duct taping the heads up will most likely prevent even a good drum with good heads from sounding good. maybe a small piece of tape on the very edge just to control ring, but not enough to take the life out of the drum