• Paiste 2002

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • RUDE

• Other... (Please Specify)

• Total voters

Scott_Hurford

what are your experiences with cymbals and their durability?
what brand makes the most durable cymbals in your opinions?
if i've left any cymbal companies out, please say so.

~Scott~

ultrastu

Rudes are great for durability and are better sounding than other heavy weight cymbals like Zildjian Zs

screamkevin

I've yet after 17 months or hard playing to crack or even ding any of my Saludas. And I use cymbals from 4 lines:

Saluda Diamond
Saluda Mist-X
Saluda Voodoo Brilliant
Saluda Expressions

Alexander

You have many lines of cymbals to add in your poll! My Sabian HHX's can't be the most durable. They're fairly thin compared to the dyno beat Z bottom hihat I used to play in 1993. But again, playing with fingers primarily, I can't see me ever even cracking one of these!

anavrinIV

18 months on my 18" aaxplosion hasnt put a dent or a ding in it yet, and 8 months on my 14" aaxplosion and 10" aax splash have had the same effect. of course, my hh ride hasnt had a problem either. i havent played all the cymbals on your list (which, i must say, is a little biased toward zildjian which indicates a quality issue...) but aaxs have held up very well for me.

RSmith

I Suppose that I'm the only one out there that still uses the Zildjian Impulse cymbals of 20 years past. I have taken them to many a gig and pounded every means of abuse toward them and they still to this day still look hold up quite well. I always have had a 16 inch rock crash since 1984. I can tell ya that I swear by them.

ultrastu

impulse? not heard of them are the cast/sheet beginner/intermediate/pro.
always good to find out more about this kinda stuff.

RSmith

The Zildjian Impulse came out in the mid 1980s, they were Zildjian's carbon copy answer to the Paiste Rudes but were priced much cheaper so to speak. I traded a couple old cymbals I had to get the Impulse Ride 20 inch and I still play it from time to time. It's has a Ping Ride sound to it and could be crashed. In fact I actually even used the 16 inch Impulse crash as a ride too. The Impulse China Boy, one thing I can say about it is that the more times you hit it, the more louder it got.

As for anybody who actually used Impulse Cymbals, I think Grant Hart from Husker Du used them and Bruce Crump from Molly Hatchet used them around 1984. I personally love them myself but they're getting a bit more scare to find anymore. Best to check EBAY, for sometimes they do have them for bidding on. (even found a pair of hi hats the other day that i managed to get). For a mid line price cymbal they were a better buy than the ZHTs and Planet Z's that they have now.

RSmith

Impulse (early to mid 1980s) - Impulse cymbals were primarily designed for hard rock. These were developed in response to Paiste's RUDE range, and are similar in appearance, also consisting of raw, unlathed B8 bronze. They were replaced by the original Z Zildjian line several years later

(taken from the Wikipeda.com about impulse)

Rockula!

I remember Tommy Aldredge using them too
Man
I haven't thought of Impulse cymbals for a long time
Next thing, you'll be talking about Colorsounds!!

drkilldrmz

I have some ooold amir crashes from the early 80's. Cast bronze, but made differently than todays bronze junk.. Actually sound very decent and cannot be killed. Believe me.. ive tried

Alan_

yea, but those are splash cymbals. splashes tend to break easier, and I think a lot of that has to do with how we hit them. It's hard to play something with a glancing blow that's so small.