Cymbal cleaning,advice,tips...ALSO INCLUDES A POLL :D

Whice do you think,takes more endurence?

• Blast beating

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Double Bass over 90bps

• Punk beats

• Total voters

Defeated101

How do guys clean your cymbals?

i use Brasso polish?

wonderd if there were other techniqes? :roll:

n while ur at it do the pole below??

xdoseonex

i us the zildjian cymbal polish

play metal, alot of double bass over 200, alot of blasting, it really depends what kinda punk your talking about, but most of the punk i'm thinking of has your right hand doing 8ths at some pretty damn fast tempos for pretty long. i played punk for a while and i'd say most of it requires very minimal talent but alot of endurance. as a music i'd say death metal takes more endurance, but i'd say playing a fast punk beat for a while would take more of a toll on be than blasting for a while

SmellsLikeIan

I don't believe in cleaning anything other than crash cymbals....And only then if you want to "brighten up" the sound.......

That said, a friend of mine used to work for a company that serviced shopping carts. He brought over some of their cleaner (a mild acidic solution diluted with water). You spray your cymbals with the acid and let it sit, then wash it off with water after a few minutes. I think it's about the same thing as flitz or whatever other auto chrome cleaner.

I tried it on a really dirty crash I got on Ebay. It looked dirtier than my ride (which has never been cleaned). With no scrubbing or elbow grease at all, the thing looks new. But it will take off the logo (if you care.)

anavrinIV

brasso takes off a layer of the cymbal itself, just like the acid stuff the guy above me was talking about. acid is a corrosive substance and will do harm to your cymbals.

personally, i dont clean my cymbals because i love the sound of them and dont want to lose that sound.

as for the poll, 90 bpm isnt fast at all. i dont consider myself fast in the least but i can do 90 bpm 16ths with one foot easily. i voted blast beats because at the speeds ive seen guys like derek roddy and george kollis hit, theyre completely incredible and nearly impossible for me to even get close to, let alone hold at speed....if that made any sense.

ReclusE

IMHO, cymbal cleaning is a matter of preventative maintenance. When they are new wipe them down after every use with a soft cloth and you will never have to use harsh abrasives or acids to do the job. However, if your cymbals are really dirty and have the green corrosion stuff growing on them a quick over (of course quick being relative to the extent of buildup) with some Nevr-Dull wadding polish should do the trick. But again preventative maintenance is the best bet.

dave lynch

SmellsLikeIan":2p57anip said:
I don't believe in cleaning anything other than crash cymbals....And only then if you want to "brighten up" the sound.......

That said, a friend of mine used to work for a company that serviced shopping carts. He brought over some of their cleaner (a mild acidic solution diluted with water). You spray your cymbals with the acid and let it sit, then wash it off with water after a few minutes. I think it's about the same thing as flitz or whatever other auto chrome cleaner.

I tried it on a really dirty crash I got on Ebay. It looked dirtier than my ride (which has never been cleaned). With no scrubbing or elbow grease at all, the thing looks new. But it will take off the logo (if you care.)
In my opinion you need to be real careful of what acids you use cuz it will dry out the cymbal...I play A Customs and I use Zildjian Polish, but I have no idea how it works on cymbals without that shine coat or what ever they call it...It's real easy..Damp cloth to spread it around..A wet cloth to wipe it off and a dry cloth to polish...!!!

xdoseonex

blastbeats are just so easy for me, even at faster tempos there just so.................balanced. punk beats present much more of a chalenge for me endurancewise

richardallen

If you really want to know more about cleanning cymbals go to the virtualdrummerschool.com and into the percussion FAQ's you will find everything you need about that sort of question.

kind regads

shiebcte

i used groove juice on my crash and for the first day it looked awesome, but then these big brown spots showed up on it...that pissed me off.

ReclusE

shiebcte":3hcjmy21 said:
i used groove juice on my crash and for the first day it looked awesome, but then these big brown spots showed up on it...that pissed me off.
Stop flinging poop while your practicing! :lol:

SmellsLikeIan

dave lynch":3dkaodvn said:
SmellsLikeIan":3dkaodvn said:

In my opinion you need to be real careful of what acids you use cuz it will dry out the cymbal...I play A Customs and I use Zildjian Polish, but I have no idea how it works on cymbals without that shine coat or what ever they call it...It's real easy..Damp cloth to spread it around..A wet cloth to wipe it off and a dry cloth to polish...!!!
anavarinIV":3dkaodvn said:
brasso takes off a layer of the cymbal itself, just like the acid stuff the guy above was talking about. acid is a corrosive substance and will do harm to your cymbals.
I'm assuming both of you use those really shiny coated cymbals. Yes, acid will take off that stuff. I use really old A Zildjians. They have no coating. The acid is heavily diluted and left on for no more than 3 minutes (and only that long if it's REALLY dirty). It doesn't remove anything but dirty crud and the ink logo. I don't need the ink logo anyhow. Zildjian ain't giving me anything free, so why should I pay good money for their cymbals and give them free advertising as well?

As for "drying out the cymbal", the one I cleaned with this stuff sounds better and "wetter" than ever.

dkmfan

I don't clean my cymbols all that much because i usallyu like the way they look but, when i do i use zildjian cymbol polish stuff. And i agree that it takes more endurance to play punk but, im not so sure about the talent part

dave lynch

xdoseonex":8imuvbli said:
blastbeats are just so easy for me, even at faster tempos there just so.................balanced. punk beats present much more of a chalenge for me endurancewise
I don't play blast beats at this moment cuz the folks I play with..Well the music doesn't call for it..I would think for me tho that blast beats may be a bit tough cuz of lack of playing them but moreover as great as they are I can see myself getting bored with them if they are constant..That states how great it is for drummers that can play them so well....They have to love playing them...That kind of is the same attitude of being able to play slow..it's a mental thing...I have great respect for someone who can play anything well no matter what it is...I must say that these days Punk has become so progressive and some of the best drumming I hear ( in my opinion ) is Punk done right..So..Ummm..I'll have to say Punk ( done well ) would take the cake...!!! Just my .02 for what it's worth !!