Cutting holes in bass?

Masterthief24

Is there something out there that cuts a perfect circle in the bass drum head? I practiced cutting out a circle on an old crappy head, but it....well, let's just say it didn't end well for the head.

Thanks!

Shalaq

Remo and Aquarian make special rings that you stick on to the drumhead and cur the inside to make a hole. They also work as protection, because you add another layer of material on the edge of the hole.
I'll move the topic to Accessories. If this answers your question completely then let me know, I'll close it.

DaveDWdrums

I really don't reccommend it. Chances are if you actually get it right, you drastically took away a lot of life from the head

Shalaq

They are called port holes(Aquarians- 5 inch holes) and DynamOs(Remo- 5 inch holes separately or you can buy a pack of 5 7 and 9 inch holes). Both companies make them in either white or black colours.
Hope this helps :)

Rockula!

Find a metal can the size of the hole you want to make
I used to use the small coffee cans but they are all plastic now
Heat the can up on the stove
Obviously, you wanna use oven mitts
Place the head face down on a surface that you don't mind marking up ( a piece of wood, the back porch etc...)
Find the spot where you want the hole
Place the hot can on the head
It will melt through the head and leave a perfect circle
Not only that, but the melting process will leave a bit of a bead around the hole's edge
Re-enforce with some electrician's tape
I suggest you practice first on a worn out head to know how it behaves

pooJken

I use REMO DynamOs for some years now

and I'm settisfied

the sound of my bass drums are short and nice without much muffling in the drum

Now I have a nice short punch sound

Rockaflodge

Holz Rings - they come in crome and many other colors like red,blue,yellow,green and so on. and sizes go from 2 inch to 10 inch and most of your good drum shops well cut the hole with a speical tool for free.

kramer

I dont recommend the circle templates that you can buy from remo, aquarian etc. Seriously attempting to cut that whole is a pain and it evetually splits leaving shards of plastic that rattle whenever you use your kick. I have had bad experiences with them. Just buy the head pignose or one-holed or take off the head completely, but do yourself a favor and save your self from the hell I went through.
Kramer

hits hard

I t makes a big difference where you place the hole in the front head, I have found if the hole is in the middle of the head you will lose your bass drum punch Cutting a hole in the front head is best in the lower section of the head, in my opinion.

DrumminBari

I personally wont cut, unless you do it right it will end up ripping, and I have seen this happen to quite a few friends of mine. I just order heads precut, let the pros do it.

Mikkey

The precut heads are great but be aware that the factory hole cut is smaller than the aquarian port hole cuts by about 40-50%. I agree that the best place to put the port hole is lower off center about an inch or two away from the edge. Good luck.

Drum Orange

how does the placement and size of the hole affect the sound of the drum? I mean, some drummers have 3 holes horizontal, some have one dead center, some have one on the bottom, etc.

mikelvan

Rockula!":suglzge7 said:
Find a metal can the size of the hole you want to make
I used to use the small coffee cans but they are all plastic now
Heat the can up on the stove
Obviously, you wanna use oven mitts
Place the head face down on a surface that you don't mind marking up ( a piece of wood, the back porch etc...)
Find the spot where you want the hole
Place the hot can on the head
It will melt through the head and leave a perfect circle
Not only that, but the melting process will leave a bit of a bead around the hole's edge
Re-enforce with some electrician's tape
I suggest you practice first on a worn out head to know how it behaves
i like this idea.. i think i will use it the next time i put new heads on the old kicker