Custon Drums VS. Name Brands

drummert2k

have a name brand company build you a custom kit to your specs. its the best of both worlds. all drum companies basically started as "custom companies" im sure the Pearl company wasnt thought up one day and by the next day a huge company endorsing drummers and selling tons and tons of kits. whos to say a small custom drum company wont blow up and become a huge company? as for advantages and disadvantages, i guess the only thing i can think of would be playing a kit that everyone doesnt recognize the name. but sound and quality wise, a lot of the custom compaies out there are right up there with the huge companies. big companies like dw, pearl, yamaha, spaun, gretsch, truth, precision, OCDP, maryland, ludwig, are a whole lot like some of the smaller custom compaies you see, only without the name to back it up.

m

I like a little of both.
My first experiences with custom instrument builders was with bass guitars.
I couldn't find models from the Big Brand names that had the exact features I wanted, so I did a lot of research and eventually started working with luthiers that could offer exactly what I was looking for. I really enjoyed that process; it's kind of fun to 'design' the exact instrument you'd like, and you can learn a lot in the process.

Now I'm going that route with drums too. All I'm interested in right now is quality. I don't mind if it's a brand that some folks won't recognize, to me that's nothing to do with the music. Good gear definitely makes playing more enjoyable/comfortable, but I don't think it has to be a top brand name to be of high quality. We're fortunate there are so many gear options out there these days~ it wasn't always that way!

heyy. i play tama drums but i would like to eventually get a custom drum set 1 day, im only a freshman in high school so i dont rele have that kind of money. my cousin is in senses fail and his drummer uses c & c custom drums and i played a show last night with a band called the amaury from nj. they wont the jersey shows battle of the bands last year as sophmores and were voted the best band in the tri state area (nj, ny, and pa) and they won $25,000 and their drummer had a orange county custom drum set and it sounded great.

XIxPxGX

yea im from mass and theirs this drum company from boston thats starting out and once my band gets off the ground cause my old one broke up i wanna see if i can get endorsed but i if i dont i still wanna buy a drum kit from them it sounds really good. i went to a show where the drummer of the band was endorsed from them and it sounded great.

percussionmafia

It just kinda depends on if you wanna drive a Corvette of have a 1 off car by Chip Foose. I am kind of biased on the custom side since I am a custom builder but there are ups and downs to both. If you are touring and lets say strip a lug on a pearl you can pick one of those up at just about any drum store. If you strip a lug on a Percussion Mafia kit I can send one out but if you're on tour good luck with that beings your at the mercy of the postal service. If your gonna play a custom kit it is A MUST that you put together a first aid kit for it because it dosent matter who made it eventually something will break. But other than that it's really awesome to see your kit sitting up on stage before the show knowing that not long ago it was just something you thought about but couldn't get from the other companies![/i]

Deanoatc

drummert2k":38nvpf54 said:
have a name brand company build you a custom kit to your specs. its the best of both worlds. all drum companies basically started as "custom companies" i'm sure the Pearl company wasn't thought up one day and by the next day a huge company endorsing drummers and selling tons and tons of kits. who's to say a small custom drum company wont blow up and become a huge company? as for advantages and disadvantages, i guess the only thing i can think of would be playing a kit that everyone doesn't recognize the name. but sound and quality wise, a lot of the custom companies out there are right up there with the huge companies. big companies like dw, pearl, yamaha, spaun, gretsch, truth, precision, OCDP, maryland, ludwig, are a whole lot like some of the smaller custom companies you see, only without the name to back it up.
I agree with him...there is nothing left to say....but other drummers keep trying to change my mind. Its all the same. good sounding drums are good sounding drums regardless of name brand or custom.