customer service representatives??? more like plain jerks!!

yeah so i walk into my local Sam Ash megastore yesterday looking to purchase some new Sabaian (specifically two HHX crashes) and I approach the dude behind the counter asking ever-so ploitely if he could assist me in choosing cymbals. He proceeded to roll his eyes and say under his breath "whatever" and walked back there with me...As we all know, us drummers must find the right sound to accompany our other cymbals and drums so naturally I was taking my time testing different cymbals as well as looking at the lathing of each cymbal. I was hooked on two HHX Sabian Crashes. This employee didn't offer any advice on any certain cymbal or brand whatsoever...he just stood there with his hands in his pockets, occasionally pulling out his cell phone. I mean this guy was a fellow drummer and I was looking for feedback on what crashes would accent the vastness of my kit...so after 10 minutes he so rudely asked "are you finished yet dude?" THAT PISSED ME OFF!!! I told that jackass to return to his desk and that I would handle it myself...I could hear under his breath "finally...thank God!" So I remove the cymbals from their stands and walk out of the drum department to pay at the front desk. This guy givs me the pissiest look ever so I get to the counter and confront them about this man. The woman at the register said she would take care of it so I let her handle it.

chas anyone shared a similar bad-service story...if so: do tell

hey look on the bright side I got two 18'' HHX Crashes out of it...hahaha 8)

pilsnerfan

i bought my kit from a large music company but the imformative young man who helped me opened his own store shortly thereafter and i've since dealt exclusively with him....its been a rewarding relationship lol....

can't imagine a fellow drummer being like that

Spydr2000

I would have asked for the manager and told him what happened and you were just going to go somewhere else now to get your cymbals... I bet he would have taken another 10% off just so you would have bought them there.

Rockula!

Having worked for 2 majors and several smaller companies I can tell you this
If the guy who is helping you is not helping you then he deserves to get kicked to the curb
Especially if they are on commission

Working at the majors was both the best and worst music store jobs ever

MARS MUSIC-
Relaxed, open minded, low pressure, and they let you do things your way (within reason of course)
Tons of fun, plus I made a shitload of commission there
I cannot tell you how many people miss that store (me on the top of that list)

GUITAR CENTER-
Uptight, full of tension, the managers cannot stay out of your ass, they were constantly trying to get me to conform to policy as well as pressuring me to use sales techniques that I disaproved of
I hear people complain every day about the shitty customer service they get at GC but, unfortunately, no one can compete with the double whammy of low price and amount of equipment in stock
Wal Mart is that way too

The customer needs to remember that musical equipment is not an area where you can get away with "clerking" which is pretty much what Phantom got (and with an attitude I might add)
The customer also needs to remember that, just because the salesman suppoosedly knows more than they do, they still deserve the utmost respect

I work at Larry Morgan Music in Dallas TX
Larry Morgan has been indie since '62 and has kep the GCs of the world at bay byproviding incredible customer service AND price matching
We have "musician's friend" on every computer and will match that price
Usually we beat it by $5 just out of principal
The only way we cannot compete with GC is that we cannot buy 5 thousand units at once and have them stacked up in our giant warehouse in the back

Please try to support you local indie music retailer
Give them a chance to provide you with the customer service you thought you did not deserve

Howepirate

Phantomdrummer87":21u6rzjf said:
yeah so i walk into my local Sam Ash megastore yesterday looking to purchase some new Sabaian (specifically two HHX crashes) and I approach the dude behind the counter asking ever-so ploitely if he could assist me in choosing cymbals. He proceeded to roll his eyes and say under his breath "whatever" and walked back there with me...As we all know, us drummers must find the right sound to accompany our other cymbals and drums so naturally I was taking my time testing different cymbals as well as looking at the lathing of each cymbal. I was hooked on two HHX Sabian Crashes. This employee didn't offer any advice on any certain cymbal or brand whatsoever...he just stood there with his hands in his pockets, occasionally pulling out his cell phone. I mean this guy was a fellow drummer and I was looking for feedback on what crashes would accent the vastness of my kit...so after 10 minutes he so rudely asked "are you finished yet dude?" THAT PISSED ME OFF!!! I told that jackass to return to his desk and that I would handle it myself...I could hear under his breath "finally...thank God!" So I remove the cymbals from their stands and walk out of the drum department to pay at the front desk. This guy givs me the pissiest look ever so I get to the counter and confront them about this man. The woman at the register said she would take care of it so I let her handle it.

chas anyone shared a similar bad-service story...if so: do tell

hey look on the bright side I got two 18'' HHX Crashes out of it...hahaha 8)
Oh man do i ever HATE the Sam Ash over in sarasota florida. I went there once on my birthday to pick up stuff(mom gave me 300$ spending limit). So i had all the stuff i wanted racked up and ready to go and i find out the dude doesnt do "over the phone credit card orders" like he couldnt just background check it....So i have to go back 2 and a half hours to my hometown just to ride up with my mom to get the crap...all is smooth from there.

So after this lovely experience they give me a 20 gift card in the mail for my hassle i suppose. So my friends decide they wanna go up there to look at some stuff and i was like oh! why dont i go i have a bit of cash and that lovely card they sent me.cool.So i go all the way up there and the same dudes in there hes like "hey man sorry bout last time blah blah" im like ok this guys cool i guess. So i get my stuff thats all worth about 25$ and i go to pay with the card and the dudes like ok your ready to go. Just go check out at the front desk. So i go to the front desk and the dudes like ok can i see some ID.........F*** i dont have ID im 17 and way to lazy to drive yet! so i tell the dude i dont have one and hes like sorry cant do it have a nice day..

Ended up me throwing the door out and smashing something storming out and yelling a bunch of obscenities at the stoor while my friends joined in because they had found out about my turmoils.

Its 2 and a half hours there...

All for nothing 2/3 times...

BALLSACK!

I HATE SAM ASH THEY BLOW!

seandude

like eveone at my local gutar center///and at this local music store iw asliek how much are these stick(block) he says 50 $$$ "im like ha for these peices of crap i can get them for 20$ and he just glayerd at me grrrrr they tryed to rip me off jezz ihae music stors sometimes!!!!!!

seandude

keep in mind here there EVEY DAY and they have to deal with annying people who thisk there the best at drums and play for like 10 mi and just leave and maybe they get tired so just sooemtimes give them a break but someties there just assholes on genrel

screamkevin

I won't shop at a Sam Ash or GC. I support my local stores, The Music Emporium here in my town of Altoona, PA, and of course, Dale's Drum Shop in Harrisburg. It's about a 2-hour jaunt from here, but Dale's is a five-star shop, and I've never met a nicer bunch of folks.

Scott_Hurford

if u ever get the chance to visit a Rowlands music store, do so, they are always so friendly and helpful,m and theres always good deals.

Rockula!

Howepirate":2ebmq9b8 said:
So i had all the stuff i wanted racked up and ready to go and i find out the dude doesnt do "over the phone credit card orders" like he couldnt just background check it....So i have to go back 2 and a half hours to my hometown just to ride up with my mom to get the crap...all is smooth from there.
In no way am I slamming you for being angry about this experience but you should know the salesman's side of it
It's not their fault that you can't use your mom's credit card without her present
There is so much credit card fraud happening nowadays that people will try anything
The clerk, at the least, risks getting written up for taking a card without the owner present, there's no I.D. to check against, then, they have done all of that work to make the sale only to have that go down the drain when the card number either gets declined on the spot or the sale is negated later on down the line when the card company screws the store because they didn't check to see if the card was there AND didn't check ID
Worst case situation, the clerk is implicated in a criminal investigation
It's just not worth it to take a credit cardunder such circumstances

Most music stores rarely take CC#s over the phone and even then it is usually an established business or a church

screamkevin

Rockula!":561lkm04 said:
Most music stores rarely take CC#s over the phone and even then it is usually an established business or a church
That's interesting, Rockula. I shop regularly at Dale's Drum Shop, which as I said above, is 2 hours from where I live. My local music store doesn't carry my drumheads (Attack), so I order them from Dale's, and they overnight them to me. They have my CC# on record, so all I have to do is make the call, tell them what I need, and they send it.

Is that not a standard practice anymore? I'm just kind of curious to find out.

nickbaldwin

I guess I'm really lucky! In my short experience (2 years) of shopping for instruments (not just drums), all the staff I have encountered are always eager to help. I was about to buy PST5 hihats and the guy said 'before you buy these I think you should check out Meinl Byzance hihats, they are beautiful'

And they were!

Proud owner of Meinl Byzance hihats 8)

Howepirate

Rockula!":whv7991q said:
Howepirate":whv7991q said:
So i had all the stuff i wanted racked up and ready to go and i find out the dude doesnt do "over the phone credit card orders" like he couldnt just background check it....So i have to go back 2 and a half hours to my hometown just to ride up with my mom to get the crap...all is smooth from there.
In no way am I slamming you for being angry about this experience but you should know the salesman's side of it
It's not their fault that you can't use your mom's credit card without her present
There is so much credit card fraud happening nowadays that people will try anything
The clerk, at the least, risks getting written up for taking a card without the owner present, there's no I.D. to check against, then, they have done all of that work to make the sale only to have that go down the drain when the card number either gets declined on the spot or the sale is negated later on down the line when the card company screws the store because they didn't check to see if the card was there AND didn't check ID
Worst case situation, the clerk is implicated in a criminal investigation
It's just not worth it to take a credit cardunder such circumstances

I didnt have the card my mom was givin him the numbers over the phone...either way its completely idiotic the dude coulda checked...my mom does over the phone credit stuff all say long...she said the dudes an idiot for not doin it

Howepirate

nickbaldwin":30mz74t4 said:
I guess I'm really lucky! In my short experience (2 years) of shopping for instruments (not just drums), all the staff I have encountered are always eager to help. I was about to buy PST5 hihats and the guy said 'before you buy these I think you should check out Meinl Byzance hihats, they are beautiful'

And they were!

Proud owner of Meinl Byzance hihats 8)

Byzance pwns good stuff!

Rockula!

screamkevin":a49sxeu2 said:
Rockula!":a49sxeu2 said:
That's interesting, Rockula. I shop regularly at Dale's Drum Shop, which as I said above, is 2 hours from where I live. My local music store doesn't carry my drumheads (Attack), so I order them from Dale's, and they overnight them to me. They have my CC# on record, so all I have to do is make the call, tell them what I need, and they send it.

Sounds like you are a regular customer who has established a relationship with the store
We do that stuff too here at LMM but it is at the discretion of the boss (mine owns the store himself)

That is way different than a kid who comes in a store with his mom's CC# and no identification

Once again, not slamming Howe, just giving my experienced opinion (I hope I did not come across as arrogant on this one as my usual posts)
Besides, an indie store will have a different set of rules than a corporate chain like Sam Ash or GC
The salesman at Sam Ash has absolutely no power to take a credit card number over the phone
How easy would it be to call a number and have anyone claiming to be the card owner "authorize" the sale?
That is about as realistic as sending your kid to the liquor store and asking the clerk to call the parent for permission

Here's a question for Howe
Did you talk to the GM of the store?
The farther up the chain you go, the more power behind the decision
If you had asked the GM and he had said yes, the salesman probably would have jumped at it
After all, a sale is a sale
Unless it costs you your job

LebBoomer

sam ash sucks. go to guitar center. i allways go to the one in cherry hill NJ.thos guys there are awsome. and NO there is no white castle or mountain in cherry hill.

Howepirate

Rockula!":3hzb085b said:
screamkevin":3hzb085b said:
Rockula!":3hzb085b said:

Sounds like you are a regular customer who has established a relationship with the store
We do that stuff too here at LMM but it is at the discretion of the boss (mine owns the store himself)

That is way different than a kid who comes in a store with his mom's CC# and no identification

Once again, not slamming Howe, just giving my experienced opinion (I hope I did not come across as arrogant on this one as my usual posts)
Besides, an indie store will have a different set of rules than a corporate chain like Sam Ash or GC
The salesman at Sam Ash has absolutely no power to take a credit card number over the phone
How easy would it be to call a number and have anyone claiming to be the card owner "authorize" the sale?
That is about as realistic as sending your kid to the liquor store and asking the clerk to call the parent for permission

Here's a question for Howe
Did you talk to the GM of the store?
The farther up the chain you go, the more power behind the decision
If you had asked the GM and he had said yes, the salesman probably would have jumped at it
After all, a sale is a sale
Unless it costs you your job

Either way i had been there before and made a purchase... they knew my info and who i was...its been the same guy the 3 or 4 times ive been in there.... i just hate sam ash and am never purchasing anything from that store ever..and yes guitar center is better

FelterSkelter

I must chime in on this. I work at a music store (unfortunately no drums or guitars or fun stuff). I am always very willing to help people out who need direction if they are polite, courteous, and respect my opinion (since they're asking for it.)
I have to question anyone that believes themselves to truly be a musician and in the next sentence asks me what I think is the best. The clerk shouldn't have been rude to you, but on the same note (and NOT in his defense) you can't walk into a store and expect someone to know how you play, what style, what kind of drums, blah blah blah.
My advice to someone who is about to shell out serious dough for an instrument.... "Forget about the prices for an hour...try out everything we have here for as long as you like and if you aren't certain.....think about it and come back."
We even send instruments to the music teacher for them to check out (though I still think that someone buying a new intermediate/pro instrument should be able to find what THEY like and it shouldn't matter what anyone thinks).
I REFUSE TO MAKE OTHER PEOPLE'S DECISIONS.

Someone posted before that it was that guys job to deal with annoying people...but that's not an excuse.... IT'S A FACT and if he doesn't like it maybe he should find another job.

Summary: "Good" and "Bad" are subjective terms and are achieved by many personal variables. Your salesman should be able to help you to the best of their ability but don't look for them to make a choice for you.
If he acts jaded toward you in any way, bring your money elsewhere.

IF YOU WANT A NICE ATMOSPHERE, A GOOD MEAL, AND GREAT SERVICE...... DON'T GO TO FUCKING BURGER KING. SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL MUSIC STORE.

Rockula!

I disagree
In fact making decisions is not the point
Your job as a salesman is to be like a councellor
Your job is to know enough about what you are selling to decipher what the customer tells you and suggest the appropriate choice
That's the difference between a "salesman" and a "clerk" (even if you're not making commission)

I'm willing to bet that 99% of the people on this board were beginners who were intimidated by someone who had more experience
The music store employee represents that experience
After all, they must know what tghey're doing if they work at a music store
RIGHT?
If nothing else, I try to work harder for the beginner who has absolutely no idea what you are selling to them that the seasoned pro that knows more about top line equipment than you do
I have learned that most want to be greeted, given basic customer service and then they wanna be left the fuck alone
The beginner, however needs to be made as comfortable as possible and the only way to achieve that comfort is to treat them as a peer
You both know that you could smoke him on the spot but the fact that you take the time to understand an inarticulate explanation of someone's needs and happily guide that person to the best decision for themselves

Goddamn that sounds corny
But I believe in that philosophy 100%
Besides, a pro will spend one giant sum at one time
The beginner will buy tons of stuff from you if you treat him well
I'd rather sell a shitload of accessories and a couple of instrument upgrades along the way than one expensive item (there's more margin!)

It's no coincidence that the beginner is courted so heavily by every music store
There's too much profit potential

Refuse to make other people's decisions?
What do you think you get paid to do in the first place?
If you wanna be a clerk then go work at 7-11

Howepirate

Rockula!":g6xngor2 said:
I disagree
In fact making decisions is not the point
Your job as a salesman is to be like a councellor
Your job is to know enough about what you are selling to decipher what the customer tells you and suggest the appropriate choice
That's the difference between a "salesman" and a "clerk" (even if you're not making commission)

I'm willing to bet that 99% of the people on this board were beginners who were intimidated by someone who had more experience
The music store employee represents that experience
After all, they must know what tghey're doing if they work at a music store
RIGHT?
If nothing else, I try to work harder for the beginner who has absolutely no idea what you are selling to them that the seasoned pro that knows more about top line equipment than you do
I have learned that most want to be greeted, given basic customer service and then they wanna be left the fuck alone
The beginner, however needs to be made as comfortable as possible and the only way to achieve that comfort is to treat them as a peer
You both know that you could smoke him on the spot but the fact that you take the time to understand an inarticulate explanation of someone's needs and happily guide that person to the best decision for themselves

Goddamn that sounds corny
But I believe in that philosophy 100%
Besides, a pro will spend one giant sum at one time
The beginner will buy tons of stuff from you if you treat him well
I'd rather sell a shitload of accessories and a couple of instrument upgrades along the way than one expensive item (there's more margin!)

It's no coincidence that the beginner is courted so heavily by every music store
There's too much profit potential

Refuse to make other people's decisions?
What do you think you get paid to do in the first place?
If you wanna be a clerk then go work at 7-11

Tis true..but most of the time i know wayy more stuff than those dudes in that work in there...17 yrs old...drumming 4 yrs... yeh i spend a looooot of time researching my hobbies and such...and since i plan on developing this into an occupation its just that much more important...