custom kits

jbreshears

Me personaly i love custom kits, just because everyone is trying to do something else with the sound. I have my regular kit but i like to try different custom kits to see what else they have enginnered these days.

ombudsman

My best sounding snares are custom made. Also my worst sounding snares are custom made. There is an art to it. The snare beds in one of my snares was cut too deep. The thing won't resonate. It sucks. On the other hand I have snares cut and edged nicely and sound awesome for half the price of a comparable snare off the rack.

Sway

Yeah you should deffinatly look into how drums are made cause thats what im doing. Even if you dont want to make your own once you atart reading and all that about snare beds and the grain of the woods and all that youll be able to make a WAY better choice on what company you want to make your snare or kit.

awesomeAustin

i absolutely hate custom drums. for the price you pay you make your own drums for half the price.

buy some keller shells find some hoops, rims, mounting hardware, lugs and casings. you have a custom kit. the only thing you are paying for is a name on the bass drum. then if you want a special wrap, go to RockenWraps and make a custom graphic. plus its making all the major companies lose money and jack up their prices.

it pisses me off. ive seen it first hand working at a music shop. every single major drum company is losing money and soon a DECENT [NOT custom] 5pc. kit will cost $5000.

i hate custom drums.

[sorry for the rant, please dont bite my head off or take a dump in my bed. its just my opinion]

Timekeep69

I love it. "Just go get some Keller shells and some hardware and do it yourself, it's cheaper." don't forget "You're just paying for the name."

1. Building a drum set isn't as easy as it seems. Wrapping a shell takes time because you need to make sure the wrap is EXACTLY straight.
2. Unless you're using single hole lugs you have to make sure the lug holes are straight and lined up correctly.
3. Bearing edges must but cut consistantly all around the edge, not to mention making sure that the edge is even before you cut the edge.
4. Rockenwraps does some great work I've done alot of business with Scott but for a total custom graphic, you're looking at $100 just for a bass drum wrap.

The cost for "name" is typically labor charges.

Just my $.02

awesomeAustin

most of the keller shells ive seen already have the holes drilled in them and the bearing edges cut for you. and 100 dollars for a bass drum wrap isnt as bad as 500 for custom shop to do it. especially since MOST of the people who buy custom drums just buy a 4 pc. kit. im just saying i think if you buy a good kit from mapex or tama you can buy the wrap and have a "custom kit".

i agree with you about getting the wrap straight because im retarded when it comes to stuff like that.

Timekeep69

awesomeAustin":18iiz2qw said:
most of the keller shells ive seen already have the holes drilled in them and the bearing edges cut for you.
Not likely. You need to know the hole spacing for lugs that have two mounting screws. They're not standardized.

You can get the holes drilled as long as you provide them that information and they will cut your bearing edges but they charge for it. Keller shell do not come pre-drilled and cut automatically. I know AMdrumparts drills and cuts for free as long as you purchase the shell and hardware at the same time. Their hardware prices are pretty good but their shell and wrap prices are pretty high.

JohnRobMHIM

Yeah with most of the custom companies you're getting the same drum essentially, it's probably a kellar maple shell 6 or 8 ply for toms and bass and 10+ ply for snares. Almost everyone uses a 45 degree bearing edge, although a few companies offer options with that. Birch shells are becoming more popular but they're more expensive than maple...for some reason. If you add up all the prices of what you would pay by ordering direct from a custom drum supply site it'll still be pretty pricey. what with 7.50 for a lug and 15 for a hoop, it starts to add up, the hardware for a 3 piece kit would cost almost 400 not including mounts, drilling holes, painting/wrapping/staining it.

You're paying for good wood, hopefully good craftsmanship, and the option of being expressive with not only the sound but the look of your drumset.

All this combined with the fact that if you play enough to want a professional quality drum set you can probably cut a deal with one of the custom companies a lot easier than with the big guys like pearl, tama, yamaha, or dw.

Custom Companies make sense to me.

dtran09

Well SJC quoted me at around $2350 (+$250 S&H) for a basic drumset (no extras).
And if I bought all of the parts needed, I could get a drumset with tube lugs and maple hoops for around $1500, then i'd need to add in the cost of having holes drilled and S&H, but even if it somehow came out to be the same price, it would be worth it because of the better drum kit.

Timekeep69

dtran09":2xbn2buj said:
And if I bought all of the parts needed, I could get a drumset with tube lugs and maple hoops for around $1500, then i'd need to add in the cost of having holes drilled and S&H, but even if it somehow came out to be the same price, it would be worth it because of the better drum kit.
You told me they quoted you $3200 for the kit.

dtran09

Timekeep69":el1ni72l said:
dtran09":el1ni72l said:
You told me they quoted you $3200 for the kit.
They did at first, but that was with powdercoating and yamaha-style wood hoops. That was waaaaaay out of my price range, so I asked what it would be with 2.3mm rims and no powdercoating. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

drummert2k

aside from the smaller companies who make custom kits, companies like DW, Pearl, maryland, orange county all are "custom companies" when you get into their higher end stuff. i had a pearl and maryland kit custom built to my specs already. they both are amazing.