Crossthreading..

Mobocrat

My snare tensioning rods keep getting cross-threaded horribly, and far too easily...I've had to have it repaired several times and had replace swivel lugs...

any advice to help me keep this from happening again???

I'm at my wits end, especially when all I'm doing is tightening up my snare before a show and it gets stuck...and I can never get it out.

thanks alot

-Mitch-

stump

What kind of snare are you dealing with? Could be alot of things....quality, age, abuse and many other things. Let us know. Peace on ya!

Mobocrat

its a stock snare for a Gretsch Catalina Club Mod....I heard these snares we're crap....it sounds great, I think it just has lame hardware....

Brother_Bong

Mobocrat":3uuj8t0o said:
its a stock snare for a Gretsch Catalina Club Mod....I heard these snares we're crap....it sounds great, I think it just has lame hardware....
I'd say time to replace the lugs and hardware. Unless you are tuning absolutely wrong, but it doesn't sound like that.

Atmerrill

If I'm reading this right and you're stripping the tension rods of the snare, then there's a mismatch between the rods and the receiver in the lug - not a good fit. Have you tried swapping out the tension rods of the snare themself? I wouldn't recommend pulling rods from the other drums - you'll most likely run into the same issue quickly. It's probably the same on other lugs, but because the snare batter is so much tighter, it becomes more pronounced faster.

There's some pretty good commercial tension rods out there, or you could try some of Cannon's products - If you have a drum shop that's nearby that has some spare parts, try them. Worst case scenerio, you could always buy new lugs for the snare at AM Drum, Drummaker or some other on-line drum part seller.

Good luck.