Crashes

tom_c

Hi

I recently bought some AAXplosion crashes after the chap in the shop said their fantastic for metal and take some punishment.
I loved the tone of them but they have just fallen appart.

Im assuming there not right for my playing style (metal)

www.myspace.com/eighthnerveuk

I was thinking of replaceing them with zildijan Z custom Rock crashes

will they last more that 5 minutes??

tom_c

SGarrett":tjvbwiiz said:
I play metal with mine.

It's probably your technique and/or setup.

thought you might say that

I never had this problem with my cheap paiste 302 that i sold about 6 months ago and had had for about 5 years

SGarrett

Well, I hit mine extremely hard and have had them for about three years.

How are hitting and setup? What size cymbals are you using?

tom_c

im using a 14" &16" aaxplosion crash

i have the wing nuts nice and loose.

i have the cymbals tilted slightly towards me

screamkevin

tom_c":1wlu8e7p said:
im using a 14" &16" aaxplosion crash

i have the wing nuts nice and loose.

i have the cymbals tilted slightly towards me
It's not just that, Tom, it may be in how you're striking them. If you're coming down on them straight with a hammer-like blow, you'll need to start striking them at a 45 degree angle, glancing them. A good way to do it is make a half-circle in the air with your stick and move the cymbal into that space, so that your stick hits the cymbal as if you're "swiping" at it.

Incorrect technique can blast cymbals to pieces just as quickly as incorrect setup. :wink:

SGarrett

^^^What he said.

Also, your sizes are too small for loud music. You should use at least one 18" or larger crash. Even with proper technique those small cymbals just can't keep up with the volume.

anavrinIV

SGarrett":n143eqes said:
^^^What he said.

Also, your sizes are too small for loud music. You should use at least one 18" or larger crash. Even with proper technique those small cymbals just can't keep up with the volume.
i have a 14" aaxplosion and it rocks right along with its big brother. i believe that this is a technique issue. i have a planet z crash/ride that i dont think i could ever break...brass cymbals seem to hold up pretty well.

SGarrett

Of course. There are places where a 6" splash is audible but there are many more times when you'd be overplaying the hell out of it to get the same volume that you could easily get from a larger cymbal. The correct tool for the job. My 16" Xplosion is nowhere near as loud as my 19" Xplosion.

Rem

they are to thin really, they get innihilated with too much crashing...

i know some one whos gone thru a 16 and an 18 very quickly

Howepirate

Coatedskins":2m1rqqjc said:
they are to thin really, they get innihilated with too much crashing...

i know some one whos gone thru a 16 and an 18 very quickly
First off, thin cymbals should last wayy longer than thick cymbals with proper technique. Thicker=way more brittle (and usually sound crappy too) Thinner allows more flexibility and disperses the energy you throw into the cymbal, so long as your not hammering it.

tom_c

I may well try the 18"

(I know that my technique is ok as I have just finished a 3 year drum course a BIMM)