Crashes as hi-hats?

phlopip

i read an article in RHTYHM recently about the drummer in Orson. He used two 18" zildjian K's as hi-hats.

Do any of you use crashes as hi-hats...maybe even two rides!

Shalaq

Nate Morton uses 16" Z custom and A custom crashes as a hi-hat. I sometimes experiment and make 17 hi-hats, but it's of no use in what I usually play.

break the prism

i started this experimental/electropunk band where everything was big. the guitars, bass, and synthesisers were distorted and layered, some of the drums were played through phaser pedals at shows.
anyway...i wanted a big sound out of everything. i put my two 18" sildjian A medium crashes on my hi-hat stand and stacked my 14" mastersound hats on top of my other two crashes.

febdrummer

I actually use 16' crashes as hi-hats and love it. I started doing it because I wanted to find a big fat sound for playing open hi-hat and even the 15's I found every now and then just weren't what I was looking for. I was very lucky to get a hold of a Zildjian medium thin crash ( I use this one on top) and a thin crash (on the bottom). The sound is explosive but still able to be controlled which was exactly what I was looking for. I do not suggest it being used for recording purposes but I recommend it for live playing if you really want to help fill a room with sound.

PaulZILLA

ive heard of using 15 and 16 in crash sets as hi hats, but 18s, wow. ive used splashes, and ive used 16in crash on top and 16in china on bottom. worked kinda funky, but not good for a main. ive tried 16in thin crashes and they worked kinda decent. but i need a lil quicker response from my hi hats, so ill stick with 14s and 13s. id like some 15s but i dont have much use for em.

Mr. Pants

These aren't crashes...they are 20" hi-hats...I've had them rolling for over 1 year now.

I have an old Zildjian Scimitar on the bottom (the original from 20 years ago) and a 60's Paiste/Ludwig ride (very light)...

To compare sizes...the bigger cymbal in the background is 24" and the other is 21".

Fun stuff...always a great conversation piece...but more importantly they sound good.

Rockula!

I found some 16" Zildjian concert band cymbals at a pawn shop and use them as hats
That's them on the right
The others are 14" to give you some perspective

Alcyon

Jeez, Mr. Pants, is your hihat stand strong enough to lift up that 20" ride? Or do you just keep them closed all the time?

break the prism

rockula, what kind of music do you play? that's probably one of the sweetest setups i've ever seen. is that a rototom between your hats?

truckerjon

i've been playing 15" hats (thought they were huge) for a while now, and after hearing about people using larger hats and now seeing this topic going, i really want to see if bigger hats are better for me. thanks y'all for making me want to spend more money! 8)

galgano16

i've used 2 paiste 2002 14" thin crashes as hats, they work fine, and hey, if i dont even say anything about it, no 1 seems to even notice